Employer gets slapped with $500k suit

Lee

FRESNO, California (AP) -- A jury awarded $500,000 Friday to a woman who was spanked in front of her colleagues in what her employer called a camaraderie-building exercise.

The jury of six men and six women found that Janet Orlando was subjected to sexual harassment and sexual battery when she was paddled two years ago at Alarm One Inc., a home security company in Fresno.

The jury, however, said that Orlando did not suffer from sexual assault as she had alleged.

Orlando, 53, had asked for at least $1.2 million in lost wages, medical costs and damages.

Orlando quit in 2004, less than a year after she was hired, saying she was humiliated during the company's camaraderie-building exercises.

Sales teams were encouraged to compete, and the losers were made fun of, forced to eat baby food, required to wear diapers and spanked with a rival alarm company's yard signs, according to court documents.

Lawyers for the company said Orlando and others took part in the exercises willingly. The company has since abandoned the practice.

Found that ammusing. Who would'a thought that paddling employees would get u in trouble? I'm guessing this wasn't an 'adult entertainment' company.

Anythings possible in California, we're a country unto ourselves. I really want to move, but damn I can't figure out where the weather is this nice and I don't get blown away by hurricanes, or tornadoes.

I'm two and a half hours from the beach, hour from the snow, five minutes from a nice lake, 8 minutes from the river, four hours to Sand Mountain NV.............. :beer:

Anythings possible in California, we're a country unto ourselves. I really want to move, but damn I can't figure out where the weather is this nice and I don't get blown away by hurricanes, or tornadoes.

I'm two and a half hours from the beach, hour from the snow, five minutes from a nice lake, 8 minutes from the river, four hours to Sand Mountain NV.............. :beer:

ive been pondering the same question and the solution is arizona. the best i can think of so far.

ive been pondering the same question and the solution is arizona. the best i can think of so far.