What Subs

I know what you mean, I'm thinking about building a wall of subs in my prelude...always wanted six or eight 12's :headbang:

Im only running beymas off a 800@4 rockford fasgate <_<  My System right now is great, But after a while you get tired of the same thing :shrugani:

512328[/snapback]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to the thread starter...take a look at the idmax.

i'm running one idq 12 in a slot ported box tuned to 28hz. i'm happy with it.

although... not as loud as the 2 audiomobile mass 12's i was running off my old rf power 500.2 (1400 watts).

Edited by phreak

eight 12's in a prelude :whoa:  Your a crazy bastard travis, I hope you have the voice to back that up :whoa:

512336[/snapback]

I like making a lot of noise!!!! :clap: Only thing holding me back right now is $$$$$$

that is completely false.

512338[/snapback]

Care to elaborate? You may get better bass out of a ported box, but you're gonna get more SPL and better quality out of a properly built sealed enclosure.

I'm interested to hear how I'm "completely false". :cheers:

Care to elaborate? You may get better bass out of a ported box, but you're gonna get more SPL and better quality out of a properly built sealed enclosure.

I'm interested to hear how I'm "completely false".

You're not completely wrong. You're not going to get more SPL out of a sealed box. SPL is more a measure of pressure than sound, thats why they use ported boxes to create as much pressure as possible.

Now more SQ out of a ported box ... maybe. Depends on the box if you can get a box to have a flat bl then it will have pretty good sound quality. But for most people a sealed enclosure will sound cleaner, especially in situations where the box is in the cab of something.

Also one of the big things in SQ is tuning, people just don't know how to or just want something to make noise. In that sense most woofers can become a SQ sub even though their design isn't for it you can still get dececnt SQ out of them in the right box etc.

I'm interested to hear how I'm "completely false". :cheers:

512344[/snapback]

a ported enclosure, that's built based on the parameters of the sub, can have pretty much the sq as the same sub in a sealed box but with a (typical) 3db increase....when tuned low. tune it higher and you'll gain more spl but sacrifice sq.

if you throw a sub in any old ported box not built to spec, it'll sound like shit. the same goes for sealed enclosures.

and not all subs can be mounted in both ported or sealed enclosures. some can only go in sealed and some can only go in ported.

I've been installing alot Of Blitz 10" and 12" subs in regular cab pick ups. they are a low profiel sub and sound awsome. But If Ya have the room then you need to run a Audiobahn High Excursion sub. They produce a real deep bass and don't burn a hole your your pocket.... If ya want to see some specs and prices on what I am talking about then just let me know and I will link you to some info or clip some info to ya

here is a pic of the sub and lil info on the blitz 12" sub

# One Piece 12'' Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer Driver

# High Excursion Foam Surround

# Die-cast Aluminum Basket with CNC Cutting

# Chrome Plated Back Plate

# Super Light & High Rigidity Poly Coated Paper Cone

# 2.5'' High Temperature Kapton Dual Voice Coil

# Frequency Response: 26Hz-1kHz

# 120 oz. Magnet Structure

# 800 Watts Max Power Handling

# SPL: 86 dB

# Impedance: 4 Ohm per coil

# Overall Diameter: 12.75''

# Mounting Depth: 5.5''

that is completely false.

512338[/snapback]

Sealed boxes offer better sq attributes like cone control, less overhang, better midbass transition and lower bass extension. There are exceptions to every rule, but as a whole, sealed boxes provide these attributes better which are required for an increase in your subwoofers sound quality. ;)

Sealed boxes offer better sq attributes like cone control, less overhang, better midbass transition and lower bass extension. There are exceptions to every rule, but as a whole, sealed boxes provide these attributes better which are required for an increase in your subwoofers sound quality.
Edited by Justintoxicated

ellison445, if you don't mind getting a much larger amp for a single sub get the new RE XXX Hands down. And hope it does not shatter your windows..

BB said you had deep pockets and if you have the space for a 12 XXX....

$$$$$$$$$$$

I'd personaly rather have a cub motor heh.

You could also pickup an old XXX for alot less, it will still knock the crap out of a W7 in SQ and SPL.

Edited by Justintoxicated

this is from the rockford sub book.advantages of sealed enclosures.small enclosures,linear flat response,no port noise,higher power handling at all frequnceies,excellent for sound quality.advantages of vented enclosures.higher average output than sealed,tuning frequency can easily be adjusted by changing port length,deep bass response with lower power requirements,great for high output with limited power.i have 2 punch he 12s and built a sealed enclosure to rockford specs with an older punch 120 it hits pretty good.i would check out rockford fosgate.com for laughs check out that 20,000 watt amp for 19,999 dollars that otta blow the deck lid off your shit ha,ha,if you get some rockford subs i have all the box sizes depth width and all that jazz for sealed or vented for the he from 6.5 inch to 15 inch subs :dance: