Nology coil!

RNBRAD

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I have not personally tested the nology set, I have talked with a few of my friends who have dyno's who have tested. Out of the people I have spoken to, none have reported increases, but 2 have reported decreases in HP output. Like I said, I have not tested it personally, so this is second hand information.

Thanks

-Dave

486720[/snapback]

looks like I know of a sure fire way to shed some weight and gain some HP then.

I'm sure their are others that have experienced this coil.Let's hear it!!!!!....hard to belive you would loose HP.I don't think a coil would give you alot of power gains,but a nice smooth idle/rev I would think.Bansheebrain had good results.....

But than again the stuff from Dave Moore makes ya think.Hmmmmmm need more facts from eveyone......

Hmmm...

Yeah and I know a friend, who has a cousin from Detroit, who used to date this girl, who had a brother who worked with a guy who tried a Nology coil on his Dodge Ram and lost 2 horsepower, therefore it must be true.

No offense to the folks in the thread, but that posted crap from Dave Moore is the weakest argument I've ever seen. It can not be substantiated.

It would have had an ounce of weight had Dave Moore dyno'd them himself and subsequently posted the results. He has not. He just has information from a "friend". I am sure it is just a mere coincidence that Dave Moore is also peddling is new "ignition" system for 250R's and banshees...

I don't know if the Nology coils "work" or not, or if they make any change at all. What I do know is that I can't judge their quality or their effectiveness based on "3rd hand information" without any proof.

BG

There are a few guys over on PS that have track tested them. They say it has resulted in better times with their set-ups. It's hard to fathom a higher voltage arc crossing the electrode to ground strap causing a drop in horsepower. :shrugani:

We have sold several and got nothing but GOOD reports!  Might check with BansheeBrian if i remember correctly he too bought one from us.

483702[/snapback]

Worked great with my old stroker.Just don't be lazy and ground it to the frame.It must be grounded to the head.Good product.

I dont think anyone said it was gonna add X amount of HP But I have seen it in person and gotten feedback from at least 4 customers that have noticed better starts, faster rev, and cleaner/crisper running bikes. I dont think it is a HP gaining product, BUT i darn sure dont think it will take any HP away. LOL Tell ya what, grab your stock coil wire and kick it over then grab a NOLOGY one and let us now which one knocks your dick in the dirt!

Hmmm...

Yeah and I know a friend, who has a cousin from Detroit, who used to date this girl, who had a brother who worked with a guy who tried a Nology coil on his Dodge Ram and lost 2 horsepower,  therefore it must be true.

No offense to the folks in the thread, but that posted crap from Dave Moore is the weakest argument I've ever seen.  It can not be substantiated.

It would have had an ounce of weight had Dave Moore dyno'd them himself and subsequently posted the results.  He has not.  He just has information from a "friend".  I am sure it is just a mere coincidence that Dave Moore is also peddling is new "ignition" system for 250R's and banshees... 

I don't know if the Nology coils "work" or not, or if they make any change at all.  What I do know is that I can't judge their quality or their effectiveness based on "3rd hand information" without any proof.

BG

486993[/snapback]

I don't think that Dave sells anything that competes with a nology coil, friend. He sells a CDI that would compete with Dyna. And, FWIW, I'd listen to 2nd hand info that Dave trusted than almost anyone on HQ. Do you need to buy a cub cylinder yourself to believe that they perform extremely well?

So, if I gather from you tone your opinion....Dave wanted to take time out of his day to discredit a product that he has no vested interest in, one way or the other. If anything, it makes me respect him more. Some builders would say, hmm...dunno, but I can have one for you in 3 days, and make $20 bucks for his time.

As for if it provides performance gains, I'm willing to pay for dyno time to show it, so I must be open minded enough to give it a shot, just not willing to fork over the money to buy one myself.

Now, onto possible electrical theory. CDI's basically rely on some basic components, mainly a capacitor. The cap, after being charged by the mag, discharges with the primary side of the coil in it's path. This creates a current in the primary coil that transfers to the secondary, thus firing the plug. If the turns ratio of the coil is higher, more voltage will be developed, true, but the load on the cap increases proportional to the square of the turns ratio. So, getting the higher voltage spark, means that the cap is gonna discharge faster - ie, shorter duration.

I don't know of the optimal figures for spark duration or voltage. But, I can understand the reason why this coil would or would not work better than stock.

If you read my first post, I wondered if there was a CDI to CDI variance in the effectiveness of the coil.

Hmmm...

To use your cub analogy:

No, I don't need to buy a cub cylinder to know it performs well. Why not? Because I've seen the dyno data, from multiple experienced and trusted engine builders. I've seen evidence for their performance first hand.

If none of this information was available for the cub, I would not assume that it was a "good" or "bad" product. I would reserve my opinion until such time that reliable evidence became available. I certainly would not decide that the cub cylinder was bad, based on 3rd hand information, from a builder who has never tried one.

This doesn't change my argument, but it does help augment it. Thanks for throwing me a bone.

BG

I don't think that Dave sells anything that competes with a nology coil, friend.  He sells a CDI that would compete with Dyna.  And, FWIW, I'd listen to 2nd hand info that Dave trusted than almost anyone on HQ.  Do you need to buy a cub cylinder yourself to believe that they perform extremely well?

So, if I gather from you tone your opinion....Dave wanted to take time out of his day to discredit a product that he has no vested interest in, one way or the other.  If anything, it makes me respect him more.  Some builders would say, hmm...dunno, but I can have one for you in 3 days, and make $20 bucks for his time.

As for if it provides performance gains, I'm willing to pay for dyno time to show it, so I must be open minded enough to give it a shot, just not willing to fork over the money to buy one myself.

Now, onto possible electrical theory.  CDI's basically rely on some basic components, mainly a capacitor.  The cap, after being charged by the mag, discharges with the primary side of the coil in it's path.  This creates a current in the primary coil that transfers to the secondary, thus firing the plug.  If the turns ratio of the coil is higher, more voltage will be developed, true, but the load on the cap increases proportional to the square of the turns ratio.  So, getting the higher voltage spark, means that the cap is gonna discharge faster - ie, shorter duration.

I don't know of the optimal figures for spark duration or voltage.  But, I can understand the reason why this coil would or would not work better than stock.

If you read my first post, I wondered if there was a CDI to CDI variance in the effectiveness of the coil.

487108[/snapback]

Hmmm...

To use your cub analogy:

No, I don't need to buy a cub cylinder to know it performs well.  Why not?  Because I've seen the dyno data, from multiple experienced and trusted engine builders.  I've seen evidence for their performance first hand.

If none of this information was available for the cub, I would not assume that it was a "good" or "bad" product.  I would reserve my opinion until such time that reliable evidence became available.  I certainly would not decide that the cub cylinder was bad, based on 3rd hand information, from a builder who has never tried one.

This doesn't change my argument, but it does help augment it.  Thanks for throwing me a bone.

BG

487417[/snapback]

I agree with your point(s). But I think you missed this part:

I have an email around somewhere from Dave Moore talking about Nology coils.  A couple of friends of his have dyno'd the nology coils and either didn't gain any performance or lost performance.  My builder had the same experience. 

Yes, he has dyno'd them himself and told me almost verbatim what Dave said in that email. I have 2 motors done by him now, and have yet to find any reason to doubt or discredit him. I don't plan to start now.

Peace

dont know shit about the coil and really dont care, but i dont think dave moore is a guy who is willing to knock another product down just because to sell his own. his word is as good as gold as far as im concerned. i have dealt with him first hand and can assure you his customer service is excellent...