Utility trailer?

scuba147

My trailer is a 6 x 10 utility trailer that i haul stuff and quads with all year long.--I have the wood planks off(redoing the wood and painting it with POR15 paint) and was wondering if anyone has ever the same problem--going 70 + mph the trailer will start to sway behind my pickup--99 extended full size. It sways horrible behind a blazer or jeep i think due to their short wheel base. would moving the axle back 6-8 inches help with this problem. The axle pretty much sits almost right in the middle of the trailer--on my bass tracker trailer the axle is way in the back and trailers nice. I f anyone has done this or knows what i am talking about some advise would be great. Thanks

Boats pull A LOT different. Just look in your the owner's manual for your vehicle. Chances are it will have a higher tow rating for boats. Mine small SUV is a full 33% more.

I don't think you are supposed to move the axles on utility trailers. Boat trailers have a "slide axle" or "slide bunks" built-in for this purpose. Utilities do not. Is this a homemade model or something you picked up from a dealer? It sounds too small to be the enclosed Haulmark models I see a lot at riding area and races.

Maybe just keep it to about 70 when towing... :confused:

load it heavy on the front ..its swaying cus loads too far back.. and not enough tongue weight.. but yeah if you move axle back this will help .. but easier to just try to load 3/4 of your weigh in front of and over the axle not behind it... does your trailer sit level when hitched up too????

Its a no name utility trailer that you would see landscapers using. I put 2 quads (polaris in the front and shee in the middle)sideways and have about 30 inches of free space on the back of the trailer. It trailers ok but put 4 extra atv tires and a cooler in back and it starts to sway. Seems that you cant really put any amount of weight or any in the back of the two quads. Thats my reasoning for maybe moving the axles back a little. It sits level behind my truck also. Thanks

Edited by scuba147

My trailer is a 6 x 10 utility trailer that i haul stuff and quads with all year long.--I have the wood planks off(redoing the wood and painting it with POR15 paint) and was wondering if anyone has ever the same problem--going 70 + mph the trailer will start to sway behind my pickup--99 extended full size.  It sways horrible behind a blazer or jeep i think due to their short wheel base.  would moving the axle back 6-8 inches help with this problem.  The axle pretty much sits almost right in the middle of the trailer--on my bass tracker trailer the axle is way in the back and trailers nice.  I f anyone has done this or knows what i am talking about some advise would be great.  Thanks

469819[/snapback]

I've built several trailers , from 5' X 8' to 8' X 16' & I always locate the axle centerline 6" behind the centerline of the trailer bed. This gives the needed tongue weight for proper towing. Always worked & I tow any speed I want. :cheers:

'

Thanks for the advise--- i called a few shops and they all agreed. I have my auto body guy coming over to see if he can help me out. I measured it and the axle is 4 inches ahead of the center point of the trailer. I will write back when i get it done--thanks for the help