How important is new motor break in?

midknight

i usually do about 5 hrs or so, but ud better off doing more to make sure its all together. i built my buddy's 03 (400 crank, top-end) and the day after i got it running, he decided to race another buddy's YFZ and locked it up (maybe less then 1/2 half hr), but got lucky that i didnt fuck anything up

I do this-

start it let it get to full temp (mostly sitting but some, easy ride with a wot in short burst but not to let it rev to top of rpm)

kill it let it fully cool

repeat about 4 times 24:1 oil gas mix

ride it easy for about 2 days 32:1 gas/oil mix (3hr each, short time but when it ride it's mostly at a track or long trail rides where I have fumes left when I get back)

then ride it like you stole it :D

never had a motor go before it was normal time to redone top

:cheers:

Most people will tell you one full tank of gas no more than half throttle on a two stroke. And I wouldn't bother w/the 24:1 thing. Make sure you lube up all your top end parts well(w/same mix oil you are going to use), and run whatever mix you will always run. 32:1 is always safe, if you run good quality oil, 40:1 is fine.

spin tires, change oil.... repeate, have not had a problem yet..... lol

468385[/snapback]

The yamaha dealer told me the first thing to do when u turn the bike on was warm up the tires . so i did exactly that , never had a problem with my bike

GCS0004.jpg

I do two heat cycles, then ride it around easy for 15-20 min, never going above about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle. Never had any trouble with it. I get anywhere from 60 to 100 hours on a top end. But I tend to ride mine pretty hard. I'm at just over 70 hours on this latest top end and checked compression... only down about 5psi from when I tested it at first break in. Jetting plays an important role in the life if your bike as well. Make sure you have it jetted right on, and she won't let you down.

I do two heat cycles, then ride it around easy for 15-20 min, never going above about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.  Never had any trouble with it.  I get anywhere from 60 to 100 hours on a top end.  But I tend to ride mine pretty hard.  I'm at just over 70 hours on this latest top end and checked compression... only down about 5psi from when I tested it at first break in.  Jetting plays an important role in the life if your bike as well.  Make sure you have it jetted right on, and she won't let you down.

468418[/snapback]

Your totally right bigred jetting jetting jetting

On a complete teardown I have always done a good warmup and let it cool all the way down. Warm it up again ride it about 15 min going through all the gears making it work but not over reving it. Let it cool retorque and check for any leaks then I run it hard but never hold it wide open for more than three or four seconds at a time, I let it cool after an hour. And repeat the process for the first 3-4 hours. Change the transmission oil, always let it warm up good then I ride it like Im mad at it. Knock on wood I have never had a failure :bolt:

And they are right .......jetting is everything

Edited by Old Two-Smoke