Banshee problems...

My buddy has a 1995 Banshee, and today we went riding and it was running fine for a few minutes, then all of a sudden it started bogging on the low end, then back firing really bad when id rev it up. we put in new spark plugs, and the fuel is brand new, mixed at a 40:1 Ratio. I dont have a clue whats rong...? Any ideas? We need this thing fixed by sunday, cuz were going on a trip. Im also not getting fuel into the motor.... Itll run when i spray carb cleaner into the intake. It will run until it runs out of carb cleaner... There is no TORS, i am getting spark... It has FMF fattty series pipes, jetted at 290 main stock needle and pilot i assume, milled head (.030) and im not sure on the fuel/air screws, i need help setting those cuz we messed with them. BUT that was after it started acting up. This thing ran fine like 2 days ago...it also has a UNI filter, which the front of the filter was wet with gas... but could any one you banshee gurus help a new comer out?! plz thanks in advance... ill post anything i forgot, or if you need more info ill do my best...

one more thing. I took off the carbs sprayed them with cleaner, took off the bowls (one side at a time) and sprayed them... so im running out of ideas...

when my reeds went bad it boged then when i reved it up backed fired like it was loading up . just a thought

You could have water in the gas, which will clog the jets, or you could have plugged the pilot jets. Take the carbs off, remove the bowls, take the main jet and pilot jet out of each carb, and spray them out with carb cleaner, then put them back in. The backfiring probably caused the air cleaner to get soaked with gas. Also check the reeds as mentioned before. 1.5-2 turns out on the air mixture screws. Set both of them the same.

ok well i figured out my problem, the orange wire that goes from the CDI box to the Coil was unplugged... so i put a new connection on it, and it started right up. But now it revs really high!!! it wont idle it just wants to blow itsslf up. I made sure the choke tube connected, i made sure the carb clamps were good and tight, both slides are opening up at the same time, i tried screwing the idle screws all the way out, it would rev high then go back down in rpms, then jump back up kinda high, then id try to screw them in and it jsut started revving like crazy.... so i dunno whats going on....

plz help :(

ok well i figured out my problem, the orange wire that goes from the CDI box to the Coil was unplugged... so i put a new connection on it, and it started right up. But now it revs really high!!! it wont idle it just wants to blow itsslf up. I made sure the choke tube connected, i made sure the carb clamps were good and tight, both slides are opening up at the same time, i tried screwing the idle screws all the way out, it would rev high then go back down in rpms, then jump back up kinda high, then id try to screw them in and it jsut started revving like crazy.... so i dunno whats going on....

plz help :(

457731[/snapback]

check to make sure your slides are closing. with a flash light you can look through the air box if you still run one.

i would imagine that the adjusters on top of the carbs would make it idle high, but it would probably be consistent, not rev then drop again. you need to make sure that the slides are in sync, and that the cables are not binding up at all, and that the slides bottom out when the throttle is released, then set the idle from there. the air screws should probably be 1.5-2 turns out. almost sounds like an airleak somewhere if you still have problems after that. :confused:

Edited by MILO

OK, this one seems pretty simple if you think about it (I'm referring to the over-rev, not the other problem).

You screwed the top screws in the picture out so far that the slides are too high to touch the idle screws on the side. That is why they don't change anything when you adjust them.

What you need to do is take off the filters, look inside the carbs and adjust the top screws on the cable until the slides shut all the way (you may need to back the idle screws out so they aren't in the way). Then, start it up and adjust the screws on the side until idle is back to normal.