Carbs leak all the time

Toybreaker

My duner has the stock 26mm mikuni's. After riding for a bit the carbs leak when sitting until i turn off the fuel.

I have adjusted the floats more times than i can count and i think that the needle and seat is just worn out now. Has anyone else dealt with this?

It could be that the float needle and seat are worn out, but I would try to clean the carbs again before just replacing. I had an issue once with a sticky float, that I solved by removing the carb, removing the float bowl and spraying carb cleaner through the inlet where the fuel line attaches. The pressure and carb cleaner fixed the problem right away. The float needles are so sensitive that it is almost always some kind of obstruction keeping the needle from seating that causes the issue. It is possible for the needle/seat to wear out, but it is just usually not the cause. :cheers:

every time i adjusted the float i would clean everything with brake cleaner until it was spotless. There is nothing i can see that would cause it to leak. Well this can't be an expensive fix so I guess i am going to buy them today from Alba.

When I replaced my float needles and seats, I couldn't see anything wrong with them either, until I put them under a magnifying glass. A little roughness or pitting is all it takes, to make them leak. Do you have an in-line filter between the tank and carbs? If not, I would highly recommend it. It will make a huge difference, on crap getting into the carbs.

I had/have that problem with my stock carbs, I cleaned out the carbs with carb cleaner and messed with the bowls and it worked for a little while. Now its like a habit to turn off my gaswhen I stop. Once I leaked so much while stopped I had to go on reserve on a 10 mile ride. <_< Hope you get that fixed, good luck :P

I just replaced both needles and seats on my stock carbs and mine still leaks from the overflows. I could not blow air through them with the needles closed. I can't figure out what is wrong. The carbs were perfectly clean. Always have to turn off the gas when not riding. :confused:

I just replaced both needles and seats on my stock carbs and mine still leaks from the overflows. I could not blow air through them with the needles closed. I can't figure out what is wrong. The carbs were perfectly clean. Always have to turn off the gas when not riding. :confused:

456858[/snapback]

Adjust the floats.

Maxima 927 has a tendency to make my floats stick in cold weather. It could be that your oil in the carbs from the gas is making them stick. Thats while it will run for awhile good after cleaning the carbs. Then when you go to start it again after sitting for awhile it does it again. I believe the 927 gets a little thick in cold weather.