4 mm Cubs

Animalman294

Hey, I didn't want to hijack the other string, so I started my own. I am really interested in getting the 4 mm cub, but I would like to know what I am getting into first. What other mods are going to have to be done for me to run this (ie. extra cost). From what I gather I think that I can run all my stock parts at first until I get more money. Is that true? I am probably going to have to buy a +4 swing arm, new carb, have the crank welded, larger pistons, etc, etc, etc. Can I still run pump gas with this setup, or do you have to run race fuel (I usually run 50/50 anyway)? I am looking for the bottom line guys. I want a set of cubs, I'm just trying to do it right the first time and not knowing what to expect isn't cool. Thanks for the help.

if you are gonna go with a 4mill cub, you will need a new crank, (hot rods cranks come welded) different domes for your head (cut for your bore and stroke) bigger carbs, stock will work but you will be starving your motor so bad it woun't be funny, different pipes (shearers are my top choose) cpis second, your vf2's will work, gonna need bigger filters when you get bigger carbs, be looking for a longer swing arm, I still have to be careful with an 8 over swinger, lock up clutch for sure. different pistions depending on bore size. I would stick with race fuel cause you can run more compresion and more timing.

let me know if you have any more questions I can help you with.

good luck

Edited by badassbanshee479

Whats the deal with needing custom domes? Is it because the cubs dont use a spacer plate under the cylinders like some stroker crank/stock cylinder setups use? I have custom stoker domes for my +4mm, stock cylinders, w/no base plate. Would they work on a +4 stroker cub/ Possibly need a slight shave (maybe a couple thou) if the squish is too tight?

Basically, if you had cubs with a stock stroke crank and stock cylinder bore size then you could use standard domes, correct?

I think every builder has their own idea of the squish for cubs. Jim asked me about my domes when I ordered my pipes from him and told me that the domes can make a substantial difference in performance with those cubs. When I asked Cameron, he showed me the domes he makes and went into some math and numbers and shit. I just nodded and acted like I knew what he was telling me, then quickly changed the subject to football. Also, the pistons are 67mm vs a stock 64mm. I know for big bore kits with stock cylinders, you needed to buy big bore domes as well.

Ducman the cub cylinders are cast with a zero deck height for the crank and piston required. If you are a member of planet sand you can click this link to a guide Calvin made for his cylinders Click Me

Anyway you shouldn't need custom domes unless your builder has a preference in setup. You will need to run big bore domes with the larger bore cubs.

The cylinders come in two bore sizes 65mm for use with Banshee style pistons or 68mm for Blaster pistons. You'll understand what I mean if you can read Calvin's post.

Good info RATBIKE0130 , that is how I thought the cubs were. You shouldn't need custom domes, just bigbore domes if your using the 68mm bore.

What would be the advantage of running the 795 series banshee pistons (65mm bore) if you have a long rod or stroker long rod crank? Wouldn't you always be better off with the blaster pistons (68mm bore) due to the larger displacement and bigger port windows in the piston?