need help asap dual rate or triple rate?

peterlocal22

When I mean internals, I mean the valving.  All the compression adjustments are in the resevoir.  Yes that changes, but the valving itself is the same.  As far as Elkas valved by someone else, I agree with you there, thats what I'd do If i had the money (funny how its always "if I had the money"), but I was talking about from the company.  I wonder if you can just buy the raw shock body from elka, and not even have them do anything in the first place?

I've seen a guy with the fox shocks, but I didn't get to talk to him.  Id like to see some diagrams of them, see exactly how they work.  Natalie won the championship on them, so they can't be awful.

439286[/snapback]

My rebound adjustemnt is on the bottem of the shock???

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bd....i don't have your money.....i ride what i can afford, and i will never make the money u do...but i enjoy going to work every morning.

439076[/snapback]

i ride what i can afford also, and i to go to work every morning,hell some times i dont leave work for a week...... when you start working a 100 hours + a week we can talk, and i know you dont have my money cause its mine, you probally have your own money, i would asume, if your trying to bust my nuts cause i make more bank than you your gonna look pretty fucking stupid....get off your ass and start a multi million dollar biz, if ya want my money.....other wise put your shocks on my nuts and takem for a ride........ :cheers:

heres what i was gonna post for this guy wanting to know how shocks work before i read that crock of shit tat........................

the dual rate with rates of 147/210 compare to the triple rate system which has rates of 133/171/260. the triple rate is 10% plusher for the first third of the wheel travel, and still over 20% stiffer than the dual rate for the last third of the wheel travel. Actually, if the triple rate starts out with a 133# per inch rate and finishes with a 260# per inch rate it has almost a 100% stiffer rate from beginning to end vs. the 45% dual rate change. This means that it will be super plush on the top part of wheel travel and even more resistant to bottoming out on the bottom bit of wheel travel.

''''' Rezzies:The shock is exactly the same valving, travel, spring set, etc. The only difference is the non reservoir (non rezzy) design has the oil and gas mixed together and the reservoir design (rezzy) keeps the oil and gas totally separate.

The purpose of the rezzys is to give the heat in the shock a "radiator" location to dissipate faster. This causes the shocks to run at a lower temperature and the oil will last longer and require less rebuilds than the non rezzy design.

another purpose is for slightly more oil capacity for additional heat absorption/radiation,This is to separate the oil and gas. A gas/oil emulsion shock operates with the oil mixed with thousands of tiny nitrogen gas bubbles floating about. So your valving piston has oil with "compressable" bubbles running through it and the reservoir design has undisturbed oil running through it. This leads to more consistent damping action especially for long MX or XC racing.

The reservoirs are by no means mandatory for high performance, rather they are definitely worth the money if you can swing it. For the very hard core MX or XC racers, they are indeed important.

Its hard to find a good triple in such a short shock body to accommodate the banshee unless it has an a-arm suitable for a longer bodied shock, therefore the double is more desirable hardcore racers tend to prefer fully adjustable shocks as rebound is crucial in rough terrain at high speeds for extended periods of time, the Elka's are nice because of there lowered ride height, I think you'll find them on all the Duncan race bikes

and heres a sermon on how to set them up once you do get some shocks, after you set up your pre load ( i like about an inch and a half for most terrains unless i was going to race flattrack or TT,...

Setting the rebound: 1.) Find a relatively fast straight with braking bumps leading into the entrance of a corner. Reduce (Turn clicker out) the rebound damping until the rear end begins to hop or feel loose. Finally, increase (Turn clicker in) the rebound damping until the sensation goes away. 2.) Find a jump that tends to launch the motorcycle out. The rear end should absorb and then smoothly lift the quad into the air. If the rear end bounces up, add rebound. (Turn clicker in) 3.) Find some large whoops. The quad should track straight through the whoops with the rear wheel extending to the ground before the next impact. If it does not perform as described it is packing and the rebound damping should be reduced (Turn clicker out) ( these rules don't apply for sand.) Setting the compression: 1.) Find a corner with acceleration bumps on the exit. The rear of the quad should follow the ground. If the rear end "breaks up", soften the compression. (Turn clicker out) (If this fails soften the rebound two clicks.) (Turn clicker out) 2.) Find some rough sections, and large jump The shock should bottom on the roughest section but it should not be a slamming sensation. Add compression to fight bottoming. (Turn clicker in.) But avoid going to far as small bump ride will be sacrificed in the trade. the adjusters have a primary effect on the low speed, so even a large change in setting may only affect bottoming resistance slightly. Remember bottoming your suspension is not necessarily a bad thing. You should strive to bottom off the biggest bottoming load obstacle on the track. If you don't you're not getting maximum plushness from your suspension..... :huh:

Yes, but the champion is now running Elka's.

Not everyone has their valving done by Noleen. All of Duncan's shocks are done by Elka themselves.

Mine are done by Elka, setup by Martin himself. I can pass my Banshee through the whoops on my VForce. They are that good.

You can say all you want about the pros, but money or not, they wouldn't use them if they didn't work.

Yes, but the champion is now running Elka's.

Not everyone has their valving done by Noleen. All of Duncan's shocks are done by Elka themselves.

Mine are done by Elka, setup by Martin himself. I can pass my Banshee through the whoops on my VForce. They are that good.

You can say all you want about the pros, but money or not, they wouldn't use them if they didn't work.

439650[/snapback]

damm monkeyboy thats what i shoulda said, eric at elka is top notch and knows his shit, over the past 16 years ive had every shock known to man on my shee's and the elkas's are by far the best ive ridden but hey who knows the stockers might be the best way to go................ :rotflmao: