Pre-order MR16 HID's in production!

Wallrat

So I talked with TT and theya re trying to help.

Still don't know why the LED's in my switces were frying....Gogin to repalce them with some cheaper red ones, used some 1000 ohm resistors and give it another shot. (these would fry even without the bike running just from turning on an HID)

I have a new Regulator Rectifier and Battery on the way to get my runing by T-day. The regulator/rectifier was shot. They told me it was probably from turning on the Halogens while the HID's were on. It's only rated for 150 watts and that ould be 160 watts. (I'm skeptical that this was the problem though)

The bad regulator could have cause my Blue LED to pop since it stopped working when the ATV was running. (in fact it could have blown at the same time the regulator fried) (very well could be the case)

So I guess we are stuck with a 150 watt max with the DC conversion.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Got to really ride the piss outta my lights this past weekend. Had an issue with losing a couple screws on one of the lights but was able to fix it with an extra screw and some zipties. Unfortunately I couldn't run my MR16's and my helmet mounted MR11 HID's at the same time unless I had the rpm's up. I've narrowed down the problem and it looks like its battery related and nothing to do with the lights.

Anyway the lights are very good. I more than doubled my comfortable speed when riding dunes at night. Aside from the zip ties holding everything together, I don't have any complaints about these new lights. If you like riding at night, then these things are worth twice their list price! I got a few thumbs up and heard a few "daaaaaaamns" as I rode by with these suckers on. The dc conversion isn't difficult and if anybody decides to do it feel free to pm me with any questions.

• 4 weeks later...
Got to really ride the piss outta my lights this past weekend.  Had an issue with losing a couple screws on one of the lights but was able to fix it with an extra screw and some zipties.  Unfortunately I couldn't run my MR16's and my helmet mounted MR11 HID's at the same time unless I had the rpm's up.  I've narrowed down the problem and it looks like its battery related and nothing to do with the lights.

Anyway the lights are very good.  I more than doubled my comfortable speed when riding dunes at night.  Aside from the zip ties holding everything together, I don't have any complaints about these new lights.  If you like riding at night, then these things are worth twice their list price!  I got a few thumbs up and heard a few "daaaaaaamns" as I rode by with these suckers on.  The dc conversion isn't difficult and if anybody decides to do it feel free to pm me with any questions.

454504[/snapback]

you should do a step by step conversion thread with pics , im sure people will do the mod , i am sure as hell wondering how to make my shit to DC but hey if theres a will theres a way , you got the knowledge so share it ! thanks alot bud :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno if they're in stock yet but worth looking into.

Sorry, old torches going on the yfz.

I did a how-to write up on the RS 200w stator and sent it to TT. I'll have to pull out my stocker and see how similar it is so I can write that up.

Yes you have to run a battery as well as convert the lighting system to DC

According to TT, no they will not work off the stock stator, even though its only 70w you lose some in the DC conversion.

Edited by Wallrat

Does TrailTech have these in stock now? I have tried to contact them and no has returned my calls or e-mails. I need these in the next few months so I need to know.

470808[/snapback]

Just talked to them today! They are backordered on the MR16. But they plan another production run this week and should have some to ship by mid-late next week.

Haven't ordered mine yet. Waiting for next production run. Calling them on tuesday to see if I can get them by presidents day.

So even the spots have a brighter "field of vision" than the regualr torch floods?

I was thinking one spot & one flood MR16 until I get a second set of lights (MR11 floods) for "low beams", but now I'm thinking maybe I ought to just start out both with spots. Plenty bright, huh?

BTW... headed to Glamis for Presidents day!! First Glamis trip!! :dance::headbang:

I'm running dual spots and I've also got some helmet mounted dual spot MR11's. If I had to do it again I think I'd go with dual floods, or maybe 1 spot, 1 flood on the MR16's. Seeing in the distance isn't a problem even when I aim my spots at the ground. Vibration is alot more noticeable with spots so it gets kinda annoying - for me anyway. If you don't get em by Prez weekend and wanna check em out feel free to drop by my camp. I'll be just off Gecko/78, 200 yards straight out from the ranger station, dark grey nissan titan w/ a white enclosed haulmark trailer.

• 2 weeks later...

If your going to run 2 get one spot and one flood. IMO.

I just got back from the Prez trip and had no probler running 4 of these babies (with Trail Tech large Battery, Ricky Stator, and RS High Output flywheel, trailtech voltage rectifier). at home when I was sitting idle for some time, eventualy one light would shut off, however you really don't need 4 of these running when your idle lol)..Also I doubt I could run all 4 off just the battery for any lenmgth of time.

I like the spots, but 3 of them is just too many, and the floodlights are pretty impressive IMO. I flicked one on when I got to the hill and it light up a good distance in front of me with nice smooth consistant light. Also with the spot on the handlebars I found it hard to see when we hit a really dusty area (like high beams on your car in the fog) The floodlight did not have the concentrated beam and was easier to see.

I think I'm going to switch to 2 spots and 2 floods, just need to figure out if I want 2 floods in stock locations and spots on the handlebars, or visa versa or one of each in both locations :shootself: lol

I would NOT suggest running these on a stock stator. IMO, if you have the money for HID's get the stator too, and flywheel if you want to run more than 2 (you don't want them shutting off or draining the battery at low RPM's)

Also, trailtechs support has been good, they sent me a new battery and voltage rectifier when I was having problems.

Edited by Justintoxicated