Overheating at Pismo last weekend

DigglerD

I just rebuilt the motor on the Shee and expected to have a pretty fun weekend at Pismo, however about 10 - 15 min into my ride my shee would overheat. This happened consistently (day and night).

Pismo is at sea level and I am running 310 jets with the needle as high as it will go. I have FMF fatties, K&N, no air lid box and the plugs look fine. What should I be checking here? I have heard the stock waterpumps do very well but my bike is almost stock.

In addition, my shifter has a LOT of play in it even though I just put in all new tranny hard parts and a new shift star. What do I need to be looking at to reduce the slop?

ANy help is big because I am lost. banghead

are you sure you were overheating?  Or were you just dripping coolant on the pipes?

If it was jsut coolant on the pipes then stop filling up your resevoir or relocate it.

Are you sure you installed the clutch correctly?

Get a billet shifter to reduce slop, or deal with the stock one.

427036[/snapback]

Yep it's overheating... I can tell because performance goes strait to the dumps (snap... crackle... pop...) and it's all I can do to get the thing back to camp.

In addition, th shifter is not ...kinda loose. It's just plain sloppy as in, I often can't shift because it had a lot of movement before it hit the shift star.

If shee's blowing a thick white smoke, its your head gasket.And if you had to ride while overheating you may have warped the head.First check your radiatoe cap then the hoses. ;)

427155[/snapback]

There was no white smoke... come to think of it, no smake at all but the mixture was 40:1, plugs looked fine... I will check the oil for water.

with your shifter it may be the stop for your shift fork mine broke off flush with the case this year and shifting was near impossible

Yes, I know that all too well. Mine broke off flush as well BUT the other piece fell into the case and destroyed my trans hard parts. That's the reason for the rebuild in the first place. It's there now.

Get ya a noss machine head, or and aftermarket head (if you don't have one already) and run Engine Ice. I had a bad overheating problem, put these on, never had it again. Well worth it in my opinion. if you wanna go farther than that I would get the billet impeller, and maybe a inline cooler(dunno if these work but it can't hurt) :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

maybe it is because you weak,you dont fix your own bike, you cant ride, your lady stole you balls and shoved them in her purse and you smell funny?? Any of that help?

J/K

I took it up to a 320 and dropped the neddle one. Now one lean from most rich

Pulled the water pump out it looked rust coloured but had all the blades.

Checked the radiatior for blockage with IR temp gun, seemed ok.

Pulled the rad cap and tried to pressure test but didn't have the right adaptor. Looked worn to hell and was loose on the rad so I replaced it.

Flushed the system and added Engine Ice. $20 for a 1/2 gallon, it better be as good as they say.

Cleaned air filter

hecked plug for signs of water or lean- seemed ok deffinantly not rich before new jets

Straightned fins on radiatior

checked for un meter air leaks- nothing

Found ex leak at the head pipe to the head. Spring broke (ordered)

Found ex leak head pipe where the mufflers bolt on. Sliicon hose has worn though.

It wouldn't over heat here in the driveway but couldn't run it too long.

Did get up to 200 deg F but what is normal? anyone know?

I had this problem at little sahara. It would constantly get up into the 230 degree range and kept spitting out coolant even when i wasn't ripping it. It turned out to be a bad head gasket letting compression into the cooling system, which forced coolant to spew out, thus, overheating. This also got hot and caused the stock impellar to warp, which wasn't helping things, we replaced that, and the head gasket, and now it runs cooler than ever.