I know im close...but cant get it to start anymore

nick81

Got a 01 shee in pieces a few months ago. Guy I got it from said that the crank needed to be replaced. So I rebuilt the entire engine. Mods that it had when I got it was pipes, reeds, jet kit, filter, 30 over bore, and some special idle screws. TORS and the ebrake were eliminated.

Last weekend I finally got the thing running. Only problem was that the idle wasnt set yet. I had to put my thumb a lil on the throttle and it would stay running just fine. I ran it for about 5-10 min then my friend came over and we went to lunch. Came back and it hasnt ran since. I have taken the carbs apart twice to make sure they arent clogged. I have checked for spark. It starts only for a couple of seconds then dies SOMETIMES. I am so tired of this. I just want it to run so I can finally go play with it. There is a shop down the street, he says he will fix it for $60 an hour but i figure ive already spent so much time on it, that i would just like to finish it myself. any ideas?? It doenst start and half the time when it does fire, it back fires.

Is it getting gas? Mine done the same thing and the petcock in the fuel tank was clogged. They only need air,fuel,spark to run find out which one of these you dont have and it should fix it the air screw should be 2 screws out just start from there and if it needs to be turned in. Thats basically all the info we can give ya now, you have spark? nice blue spark everytime? good plugs? whats the gas mixed at?

try bigger main jets

421693[/snapback]

Main jets will have very little to no effect on hard start conditions. The pilot and air jets air the primary factor in this circuit. Have you checked to make sure that you have the choke crossover in place, or that one end has not come loose. One time quite a while back when changing my pilots I forgot to connect the crossover tube :shootself: After a couple minutes of cussing the time I'd just spent to make it to where it wouldn't run... duh, connected it up and started perfect. I know it seems stupid to ask, but you'd be surprised. :cheers:

Well it has had a jet kit installed, but i dont know the specifics. i just know that it ran pretty god about 9 months ago when the rod bearings went out.

I am getting spark, all the time. I dont know if its a strong enough spark. i am going to check into that tomorrow.

The choke tube, i made my own out of a vaccuum hose since i didnt get one when i got the quad. so that is in place.

The fuel flows freely and is 105 Octane mixed. i got the fuel from a friend that ran it in his shee a few weeks ago so the mix is fine.

I am going to follow the plug/jet guide i found to make sure i have the correct plugs, jets, heat range, and screws all set correctly. i will report back if that all doesnt work.

Main jets will have very little to no effect on hard start conditions.  The pilot and air jets air the primary factor in this circuit.  Have you checked to make sure that you have the choke crossover in place, or that one end has not come loose.  One time quite a while back when changing my pilots I forgot to connect the crossover tube  :shootself:  After a couple minutes of cussing the time I'd just spent to make it to where it wouldn't run... duh, connected it up and started perfect.  I know it seems stupid to ask, but you'd be surprised. :cheers:

421811[/snapback]

I understand that pilots have the most to do with starting and low range but I recently had the exzact same problem and I went up on my mains and it fired right up.

if you're running the stock head your compression should be on the lowish side, compared to a cool head w/ smaller domes, anyway my point is the gas, 105 octane is TOO MUCH octane for stock compression, drain the gas back into a can and put in 87 octane and try again, it's wotth a shot i've seen race gas make stock bikes start very hard when cold....put 87 octane in there and BOOM, problem fixed, good luck

~Mark~