RNBRAD: NEED YOUR OPINION ON TRINITY PIPES

sandman

HELLO, RNBRAD.

I did a search on here for trinity pipes & noticed in one of the threads you switched from Fatties to Trinity's. I am in exactly the same situation now as I start to customize my 2005 banshee & retire my 1990 due to a suspension failure. For now I plan on running my old motor in my new bike (keep new motor for spare) simply because it has been gone through & has a lot of life in it still. The old motor has some mild work done to it (nothing like yours WOW!!!). I have some port work done & a shaved head,(stock head) 28mm keihn pwk's 175 mains (330 mikuni) V-force 2 reeds, & some FMF Fatties. The guy who did my port work (Graves motorsports) reccomended the Fatties for best results. Now to the ??? Comparing the 2 pipes where does the powerband hit in relation to the fatties...higher- lower? Did you have to make a jetting change? If my port work is matched well for Fatties will it also be matched for Trinity's?

I love the fact there are no couplers needed & the fact there ss, oh & every body says there high on quality... there's something I'm not used to having run Fatties for years & years. The price (High) doesn't bother me if I'm getting my moneys worth although I will certainly shop around for a good price Ebay $640 free ship. vs. here 10% disc. Again my MAIN CONCERN IS WHERE DOES THE POWERBAND COME IN as all my riding is done on the sand dunes 20% drag racing 80% hill climbing.

Thanks for all your help as I value your opinion. :notworthy:

Chad

P.S. If anybody else can offer some expertise I'd love to here from you... Rocketpig etc...

i wouldnt pick either pipe :blink:  id get some  shearers or maybe cpi  if you want topend and a strong midrange for duneing and play racing IMO,the other pipes arent in that catergory of power delivery :bolt:o nthe pther hand if your builder ported it for fattys and he knew what he was doing, its probably ported for more of a midrangemx style motor wit h a low 190's exhaust duration and low transfer numbers also ,yo u may want to consider  a toomey t5 over the other choices :dance: find out what the porting specs from gravesmotorsports are ,and go fro m there IMO

411580[/snapback]

As far as power delivery I'm fine with the Fatties & what they put out. I also like where the powerband comes in at with the Fatties. So why am I looking at Trinity's you ask? Because Fatties are the biggest pieces of sh#% I've ever owned. My bracket on the expansion chamber is not welded on perfectly straight so I continually break pipe hangers...also there chrome so keeping them from rusting is a real challenge especially since I ride at the beach (Oregon dunes). Oh & did I mention I am on my 2nd. set of pipes. The first set of fatties literally split along the weld on the expansion chamber (both pipes separate times). So when I hear Trinity's are high on quality & SS they really catch my eye. :cheers:

All in all I want Fatty power characteristics but with some quality. I know nothing about shearers so any insight on those would be great. If they turn out to be the better choice for me I will go that route but just need to be sure before I drop some cash on them.

As for a good price on them PM rocketpig on here, he can get you a real good deal. As for power, they come on later than the fatty's and have a lot wider power band, these really are a great dune pipe. As for quality, nothing comes close and you will be able to see that for yourself. I'm not sure on your porting specs either but you want to go with something that compliments your exhaust port timing and this is really the hard part. Here's the thing, Trinity offers a 30 day money back guarantee if you want to return them for any reason, no questions asked. Can't beat that. Your jetting should be really close between the 2 as well. Just do the typical plug check/chop to confirm though. My guess is you will be more than pleased with them over the fatty's for your riding style. Any other questions, feel free to ask. :cheers:

On a side note, your pretty much in the same boat as for quality with the other pipes as well. That's something I've bitched about for years. All the 4 smokes get the high quality pipes while we are stuck with this mild steel, riveted, rusting, mid pipe non sealing pos. Sorry don't mean to offend anyone's pipes, just the way I feel. If my pipes don't perform well with my motor ima have to fork out some cashola to get a good quality custom stainless set made before I think I can buy anything currently out there. :shrugani:

Thanks for the response RNBRAD. I think I will probably give them a try but I'll prob. wait til this winter sometime as I just stripped my 1990 to the frame today & have 1 more ride (break in) on the 05 next weekend.Then it will be on for some chrome part swapping frame powdercoating fun. I think I will give the 30 day trial a try & make sure I can live with them. I, like you am so tired of piss poor quality when it comes to aftermarket parts for bikes & I'm not talking about just pipes. Like I said I love the Fatties but will never buy another set due to the lack Of quality. I will have to get with Rocketpig when I'm ready to buy & see what he can do.

Looking on Trinity's website where they describe their diff. types of porting I would have to say mine is closest to the TT port. Little bit more bottom end, a lot more mid & a much more noticeable top end. That's about as good as I can describe it. I think I'll give Trinity a call to & see what they have to say & go from there.

Thanks again.

Chad

I think I'll give Trinity a call to & see what they have to say & go from there.

Thanks again.

Chad

411616[/snapback]

pm "rocketpig" here on the site. i tried to get ahold of trinity all day one day with no answer. pmed rocketpig and he got my phone number. within an hour they called me...id say get ahold of rocketpig first..

I'm looking forward to seeing RNBRAD's motor dyno'd with the Trinity's. I'm not a big Trinity fan per se, but it's just a pipe that nobody ever considers because they're Trinity, and everyone loves to hate them for various reasons. I wouldn't be too surprised if they performed better than T5's or even Rockets, but until some results come in, it's hard to speculate.

I'm looking forward to seeing RNBRAD's motor dyno'd with the Trinity's.  I'm not a big Trinity fan per se, but it's just a pipe that nobody ever considers because they're Trinity, and everyone loves to hate them for various reasons.  I wouldn't be too surprised if they performed better than T5's or even Rockets, but until some results come in, it's hard to speculate.

411790[/snapback]

i see your point but then again its also not that hard to understand. if trinity pipes made great power on a 4mm motor youd see big time guys runnin them..i guarantee at some point in time someone dynoed some trinity vs cpi or shearer and found that trinity pipes couldnt even come close. that would be my reasoning for not runnin them. how many guys you hear of runnin trinity pipes on their 4mm drag motors?? :confused:

how many guys you hear of runnin trinity pipes on their 4mm drag motors?? :confused:

411869[/snapback]

Not near as many as the Toomey T5's, and I defintely think the Trinity's are better on a built motor than the T5's. Then again this is not a 4mm motor built for drags. If it was it would be totally different. It would have a full drag port, 39mm carbs, custom pipes and at least an 8 inch swinger etc..

Not near as many as the Toomey T5's, and I defintely think the Trinity's are better on a built motor than the T5's. Then again this is not a 4mm motor built for drags. If it was it would be totally different.  It would have a full drag port, 39mm carbs, custom pipes and at least an 8 inch swinger etc..

411884[/snapback]

ohhh, this is a trail friendly motor huh :lol::P

it seems like if you even mention trinity, people turn their noses up. also, the prices are pretty steep for a set of pipes, regardless of the material. I'm not really surprised at the lack of dyno sheets either though. I haven't seen very many rocket dyno sheets either, especially compared to other pipes. The only one I've seen that turned out favorable for Rockets was the one on their website of your old motor, and that curve looks pretty funky compared to any I've seen. Before anyone gets the impression that this is a Rocket bashing post, it isn't. I've been willing to dyno a set of rockets in the past, and had been told that I'd be the next to get their test set, but to no avail. Will be back on the dyno myself in a week and a half, would love to test them then. I'm hoping to have some shearer in frames to test too, along with my CPI's.

I'd love to see RNBRAD test out several pipes on his motor so we could get an apples to apples comparison of pipes on the same motor/dyno. Hell, I'd even pitch in some money to help ship the stuff or pay for dyno time if anyone has some pipes laying around.

Anyway, anything that helps us all out with gathering information, I'm all for.

I would have to agree that a banshee is not designed for the trails but it sure is fun on logging roads! It would be nice to see a dyno test amongst various pipes on the same motor whether it be RNBRAD's or someone elses just to see how hp #'s compare. where they drop off. "RPM" & come alive for that matter. I was working on my 05 today thinking what a sad day it will be next year when the last banshee rolls off the assembly line. :cry: Then I thought " Gee, I now have a reason to hate enviromaniacs even more when that day comes.

Oh yeah RNBRAD, if those pipes don't work out with your new motor setup please let me know as I think they would look good with blue if you know what I mean. Let me know. :drool:

Thanks, Chad.