Smoke out of 1 pipe......why?

machz05

I have a 1998 Banshee with Toomey pipes, Cool Head, and Vito's Power Pistons that were just put in. It has stock bore and stock porting on the cylinders. Out of no where one day I started it up and it started smoking really bad out of one cylinder (right). I ran a compression test and both seem fine at 145 (right) and 142 (left). I took both carbs apart and cleaned them, unhooked my T.O.R.S, and checked my reed valves and still it smokes. I noticed my transmission oil to be a little low and I was wondering if I could have an internal leak to where I am burning that oil? The left plug has a nice brown color but the right is black. Anyone have any suggestions!!

yes it would! When I used to run 32:1/Klotz of course, mine would smoke out of one pipe even a Lil' oil would come out.. So, I bumped the mixture to 40:1 and rejetted and everything went fine.. I would do a WOT plug check to see if ur jetting is correct..

Can almost guarentee it is your right side crank seal. When mine went it was sucking tranny oil so bad, you could put your hand under the right side silencer and get literally sprayed w/oil. Yours may not be that bad, but can pretty much guarentee that is your problem. A leakdown test would indicate that as a possibility, a compression test would not.

Edited by sheefreak

Can almost guarentee it is your right side crank seal.  When mine went it was sucking tranny oil so bad, you could put your hand under the right side silencer and get literally sprayed w/oil.  Yours may not be that bad, but can pretty much guarentee that is your problem.

410139[/snapback]

Crank seal would be my guess as well. If you hadn't have said that it's loosing tranny oil I would have said check your jetting.

Crank seal would be my guess as well.  If you hadn't have said that it's loosing tranny oil I would have said check your jetting.

410147[/snapback]

Yep, miss that part.. flew right over my head!!

Ive ridden 3 different banshees and all 3 smoked more outta one pipe? :confused: Especially when first started. One of them was even a 2005? Im pretty sure its normal as long as there isnt too much difference between each pipe.

410222[/snapback]

Bobby, you'll know it when you lose a crank seal, you don't just have a little more smoke coming out one side, and if you do, it won't be long before the leak gets worse, and you are really sucking tranny fluid making a smoke cloud behind you. And of course your bike will start running really shitty. The fact that makes me confident is he's losing tranny fluid, and its the right side(the only side that could possibly be sucking tranny fluid), thats quite a coincidence to not be the crank seal.

Machz05, have you held your hand behind the exaust? Is it discharging oil? I'm not just talking some moisture, but spraying oil.