Trailer Towing and Arizona/California CDL

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then wow, there are probable thousands and thousands of people illegal all the time that bring these big toyhaulers from Az to Cali. :confused:

So, here is another.

Someone that has a Class A registered in Montana by a Law Firm, totally legit, saves license fees. Lives in Az and takes it to the dunes in Cali. He has to abide by Cali laws? No way. A lawyer would not let that fly.

Edited by lincster

you go by your home state laws ... hell in kansas you dont have to have a trailer licensed if under 2000 lbs in mo you have to have everything licensed and i pull my trailer in mo all the time... but i still say with 15,000 gross on the trailer on a dually its not gonna be over 26,000.. so if he tags it under 26,000 he will be fine...

You guys are way wrong. I'm not gonna argue this anymore. Get your tickets.

You must be in compliance in the state you are drving in.

Ask any DOT person. :shrugani:

If you don't want to beleive me here: Commercial Drivers Handbook

Page 1: Who needs a commercial license.

405087[/snapback]

You don't have to argue any more, but your thinking doesn't pass the logic test.

If I go on a 4 month vacation across country to visit, do you honestly think any law enforcement person is expecting people to know every state law that has to do with weight??? :obanghead No way.

You don't have to argue any more, but your thinking doesn't pass the logic test.

If I go on a 4 month vacation across country to visit, do you honestly think any law enforcement person is expecting people to know every state law that has to do with weight???  :o    banghead    No way.

405091[/snapback]

:clap: Well put. In Oklahoma, we don't title/register out trailers(24' enclosed). I've spent as much time in other states w/the trailer as I have here. I've never been hassled or stopped because of this. Cali included.

Theres thousands of folks w/5th wheel trailers in Ca. I will guarantee 99.9% have nothing more than their standard issue license.

So by monkeyboys logic, would my 40' Beaver Marquis motor home, which weighs in excess of 40,000lbs wet, w/air brakes. Would require me to have a CDL. That doesn't happen either. The "C" CDL stands for Commercial. Which means interstate transport of goods/merchandise for resale/sale. Bottom line is you don't need a CDL to pull a 5th wheel camp type trailer.

That's why there is a Noncommercial designator. To drive that legally in Ca you must have a noncommercial class A with an endorsement for air brakes.

Also, yes the onus is on you, the user of the road to know and obey the rules of the road. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

CVC 12500 states (in many sections) that you must have a license to drive in Ca, and that it must be of the correct class, and have the correct endorsements for what you drive. No mention is made to the jurisdiction that extends you that license.

If you guys want I can call one of my customers (I do database systems for police) and ask the commercial enforcement guys to give me thier take and cite me CVC sections to back them up.

Any takers?

After my battery died in my laptop last night, I made a call to a buddy that is the supervisor at a Norcal DMV. He stated "there is no law in place to regulate RV's in reguards to weight and having to have a Class A or CDL." He put it like this. If the state of California thought it would generate more revenue than it would cost the state, they'd figure out a way to do it.

He also stated that if this was a viable source of revenue, they would have RV's stopping at truck scales to be weighed and check for the proper endorsment.

He did bring up one good point in monkeyboys defense, in reguards to obeying laws written in another state(that are not applicable in your home state.) If i Was to take a 4 month vacation and travel the lower 48 states on my motorcycle, I would need to carry my helmet for those states that require it. He did say that trailer registration was not required if your trailer is not regristered in your home state. He did advise to carry any documentation you have for the trailer. MSO etc.

Hope this clears some questions up.

After my battery died in my laptop last night, I made a call to a buddy that is the supervisor at a Norcal DMV. He stated "there is no law in place to regulate RV's in reguards to weight and having to have a Class A or CDL." He put it like this. If the state of California thought it would generate more revenue than it would cost the state, they'd figure out a way to do it.

He also stated that if this was a viable source of revenue, they would have RV's stopping at truck scales to be weighed and check for the proper endorsment.

He did bring up one good point in monkeyboys defense, in reguards to obeying laws written in another state(that are not applicable in your home state.)  If i Was to take a 4 month  vacation and travel the lower 48 states on my motorcycle, I would need to carry my helmet for those states that require it. He did say that trailer registration was not required if your trailer is not regristered in your home state. He did advise to carry any documentation you have for the trailer. MSO etc.

Hope this clears some questions up.

405242[/snapback]

Thanks dude, that makes total sense.

And I do agree about the motorcycle helmet example, but my weight and DL endorsement still stands.

I just talked to a PD officer with over 30 years of traffic enforcement. He is not a Commercial guy, but he will put me in touch with one.

First, you must have the valid license for Ca if you want to drive in Ca. We recognize licenses from other states, but you must be propperlly licensed and endorsed. If Ca requires a Class A with air brakes endorsement, you better have one from your home state.

Air brake endorsement is a must. He also said that while there may be laws to mandate the MH uses, he doesn't see many people pull over a MH.

Also, many of these regs are from DOT standards. They will not vary from state to state.

More as I get in touch with a Commercial enforcement guy.

So I guess nobody goes to Cali if there home state does not require an endorsement? Coaches a real a big gray area. I still stand by my source from DMV and the fact that if Cali could generate monies from it they would be pulling over Large RV's, as they would be an easy mark. Sounds like like more BS from the CHP to me.

I know to many CHP officers that will tell you they'd ticket RV owners or pull them over at the drop of a hat if they had a leg to stand on. Becuase they are such easy marks, most of them are from out of the area or state and they won't contest tickets, so they'd just pay them. This would be easy money and a sure way to meet the average.

When you start talking DOT, your back to commercial vehicles again.

Thats what they were implemented to regulate and still are.

When was the last time a DOT checkpoint pulled over a car, pickup or motorcycle?

As the ever elusive Boonman once told me, SCHOOL IS OUT :bolt: