Just cleaned carbs. No gas getting to Engine

sg30721

My Banshee has been sitting for 4 years... I cleaned the carbs / airfilter/ gas tank / and put new plugs in... I am getting a spark but will not crank. I can kick the crap out of the engine and nothing happens. I pulled the spark plugs out to check the spark and they were dry as a bone. I wonder if they are getting any gas? When I pull the fuel line off the carb the gas runs out so I know the gas is making it to the carb. When I pull the airfilter off an look into the carbs they look dry also... is it possible the carbs are still clogged somewhere?

Thanks for the info...

If your bike has been sitting for 4 years and there was gas in the carbs then they are probably plugged with green/white powder. If this is the case youy may find it very difficult to clean the pilot jet since the whole is so small. You can try it but it will probably be easier to buy new pilot jets.

I would also dissamble yourc arbs, strip them down and clean them completely. You may also want to put a bit of gas in the cyulinders through the spark plug holes. This sometimes will help draw fuel out of the carb once the motro fires up.

Chris

yes you do need to clean your carbs pretty good you wrote that you cleaned them that is why i didn't say anything but i guess you could have just cleaned the outside. you need to take all the jets out and look through them and take a little piece of wire to clean them really good. and you could pour a little gas in the spark plug hole instead of pull starting both will work.

I did take both carbs apart and clean them, maybe the pilots are clogged. If the pilots were clogged, would it still be able to crank if I held the throttle open?

The reason I dont think any fuel is making it to the engine is because when I pulled the new plugs out of the engine they still looked new... not wet at all.

I'd recommend 'chem dip' where you soak the disassembled carb pieces. Soak them good, rinse everything, then make sure and shoot aerosol carb cleaner through every hole to make sure all passages are clear. Twisty-tie wire after you strip the paper off is pretty good for clearing clogged jets and passages.

How much gas should I pour into the cylinder through the spark plug holes?

Thanks

This thing makes me mad... wish it was as reliable as my 250 R.. thats why it has been sitting so long... I just use my Honda 250 R now because its so much easier and cheaper to maintain.

OK... I turned the switch off and kicked about 10 times... then turned on and it fired up *big accomplishment since it hasnt been cranked in 4 yrs* It would not idle by itself, I had to hold the throtle open a little... It will be hard to sync the carbs since I have a 2 into 1 pipe... Does anybody know a general place to start, I still have the bulky carb tops. I do have idle screws on my stock carbs because I used to have a twist throttle that did not use the stock carb tops. Should I just turn the idle screws on the carb tops all the way in and just use the idle screws that were installed on the sides of my carbs??

I will test it more tomorrow, its 3:30AM and I'm sure my neighbors did not like me cranking it this late... lol

If it helps...

I have Dynoport 2 / 1 pipe

Coolhead with 19cc domes (I think, its been a long time since I had it apart)

FMF Ram Valve

Pro Flow Filter

Thanks for the tip dlnoss, I used a bread tie to clean the pilot and took the thumb throttle and TORS system off... replaced them with my old Motion Pro twist throttle kit I used years ago... it has new carb tops and all... it runs great now... Problem must be in the TORS system, I'll just keep my twist throttle on for now. Wonder if there is any thumb throttle from another ATV that will fit the cable from the Motion Pro kit...