Radiator Coolant

So I make sure my radiator is full and the overflow reservoir is full before I go riding. I'm riding around la-ti-da and all a sudden my engine is running about 160*. I'm like wtf. I'm also loosing coolant outa the reservoir breather line. I re-routed my lines thinking it would help, but to no avail. I had the reservoir off for the longest time with no problems and all sudden it started leaking out the radiator breather. So I put it back on, it worked for a while, and then started leaking out that breather. I have no idea what to do with it anymore...Any suggestions?

Most probably a leaking head gasket  :cry:

376027[/snapback]

Yea if its eating coolent like no other, replace the head gasket and see if that works. My friend blew a head gasket at the dunes, and it only took us one day and 2 bottles of engine ice to find the problem.

I didn't say it's eating up the coolant...I said it's leaking outa the breather. Head gasket is brand new when I changed out top ends not too long ago...haven't run it enough to have it leaky already.

i doubt it's a head gasket, if it's leaking out of the breather then i would probally say your filling your over flow tank too full your only suppossed too put a little bit of coolant in the over flow so it's getting hott and the coolant has no where too go so it just pushes it out so it won't blow a coolant line

Edited by joker149999

I tore off my head and looks like somethin got in the left jug...put a nice scratch on the cylinder wall...I've redone pistons and shit 2 times and this last time I put a whole new top end in. Now it's wrecked again...No changin it this time, just gonna get ran til it blows. Can't afford to fix again right now.

it very well can be a head gasket if its blowing out the breather hose. if the gasket isnt sealing properly cylinder pressure can pressurize the coolant system. the end result is that the coolant flows out the open end, the breather. this is seen most often in cool heads when you pinch an o-ring.

re-mount resivoir to the front of the bike under the front hood piece and run lines over the handlebar brace on the fram and down behind the transmission where the fuel overflow lines go. this should fix the problem, worked for me

it very well can be a head gasket if its blowing out the breather hose.  if the gasket isnt sealing properly cylinder pressure can pressurize the coolant system.  the end result is that the coolant flows out the open end, the breather.  this is seen most often in cool heads when you pinch an o-ring.

376613[/snapback]

i guarantee it. my noss head was doin that. got so hot down at LS that it melted the o rings on the domes. it was pressurizing the coolant system and pushing it out the over flow.

i would lose the rezzie bottle too. them things are useless...

I have a stock head...but I guess I'll try changing gaskets...Any info on the overheating issue? Could it be from the scratch on the left cylinder wall...the engine is trying to make up for lost compression in that cylinder and running hotter? or wtf else can I check?

i doubt the scratch has that much to do with it. yes, it could cause extra heat but that much would be unreasonable. dont just change the head gasket. take the head and put it on a check plate to make sure its flat, with the proper procedures a good machinist can even determine if there are very small knicks in the head. if your going to have it apart it wouldnt be a bad idea to pull the studs from the cylinders and have them checked for flat also. any slight imperfection over a few thousandths of an inch cannot be made up by the gasket and must be ground out.

Edited by gimmeabeer

Well I changed the head gasket, changed the head itself...and check coolant levels...Still overheating like a mofo. Starting to get to 170...I'm going crazy I don't know what to do anymore...I'm almost ready to take it to the local shop. Anymore help at all from anybody?