Trailer Mods

I have a single atv trailer. It's over biuldt big time. It's made out 3 inch channel.

My plans are to widen it to 6.5 and lenghten it to 8 feet. So it can haul 2 quads sideways. WHeel will be outboard of the frame. SO where is the best place for the axle centerline?

any tips guys

I have a single atv trailer. It's over biuldt big time. It's made out 3 inch channel.

My plans are to widen it to 6.5 and lenghten it to 8 feet. So it can  haul 2 quads sideways. WHeel will be outboard of the frame. SO where is the best place for the axle centerline?

any tips guys

372936[/snapback]

we've built & modified several different trailers over the years. we always place the axle 6 inches behind the center line of the trailer (not counting tongue) & they always tow perfect. :cheers:

we've built & modified several different trailers over the years. we always place the axle 6 inches behind the center line of the trailer (not counting tongue) & they always tow perfect. :cheers:

373170[/snapback]

I did the same thing with mine. I built it from scratch and put the axle 6 inches from center towards the rear, w/out the tongue attached to the frame.

Well 60 percent is 57.6 inches.

Almost 10 inches. Past halfway of the main frame.

Sound like good place for it.

IDAHOSHEE I am not an engineer :) How would I calculate that out? Loaded or unloaded?

It will haul 2 quads about 650 pounds plus the trailer weight.

So my tongue weight will be fairly low quessing around 375 with 9 or 10 inch past centerline placement. Is this Ok

another method::

"Measure the total length of the box and divide that dimension by 2 to find the centerline of the trailer box. For each foot of total box length move the centerline of the axles toward the back of the trailer 1 inch from the centerline of the trailer box."

here is link for info above site..... http://www.trailerplans.com/axle_placement_bumper.htm

Edited by quad4me

another method::

"Measure the total length of the box and divide that dimension by 2 to find the centerline of the trailer box.  For each foot of total box length move the centerline of the axles toward the back of the trailer 1 inch from the centerline of the trailer box."

here is link for info above site..... http://www.trailerplans.com/axle_placement_bumper.htm

373984[/snapback]

This yeilds 8 inches so 6 to 10 is my range.

for quad placement 10 is the best but i need to watch my tongue weight so if 8 will work i will go with that.

Thx all for the imput

and Quad4me for plans link :)

about 60/40 split towards the rear of coarse.  That was off some utility trailer plans I found on the interweb.

373867[/snapback]

Thats how I do it. That is for the axle placement compared to the deck. Take the tongue length in consideration if it is long move the axle back further if it is short move the axle foward. I like to move small trailers by hand so I don't like over 150lbs of tongue weight. Any odd loads you'll need to use common sense to load properly, always have some tongue weight.

Well 60 percent is 57.6 inches.

Almost 10 inches. Past halfway of the main frame.

Sound like good place for it.

IDAHOSHEE I am not an engineer :) How would I calculate that out? Loaded or unloaded?

It will haul 2 quads about 650 pounds plus the trailer weight.

So my tongue weight will be fairly low  quessing around 375 with 9 or 10 inch  past centerline placement. Is this Ok

373932[/snapback]

I forgot to mention that we always put a toolbox on the front of our trailers, so the six inches behind bed centerline works well with this additional tongue weight. :cheers: