where to hook up a tach on banshee

i can get a tach from my friend for a 2 stoke twin sled but i was wondering of anyone could tell me directions on what wires too hook up and where they are for a tachometer. I think it would be real cool to have a tach, not to know when to shift but i think it would be neat.

This would really help, darren.

can anyone give me any info on this subject or give me a link iv it had been brought up before please :confused: . I have seen the threads for people that wanted tachs but no one explained where to hook them up.

Darren

yes an rpm gauge, a tachometer. I am getting a needle one, not a digital and i dont know what wires to hook it up to.

Darren

you can hook it off the coil wire. thats where it would get its pick up for the lead. now for power i wouldnt have a clue.

do they make a tach that doesnt need power source??

If I remember correctly, you have to get a tach that is for a 2-stroke, any old tach won't cut the mustard. Reason I say this is because of how the coil fires on 2-strokes; which is different than a 4-stroke. It can be done, and hooking it up to the coil would be the way to do it, but unless you get one for 2-strokes, it won't read accurately :shrugani: Someone please correct me if I am wrong :)

would you not be able to get a tach for a 4-stroke twin and hook it up to one of the cylinders on a banshee because one bashee cylinder fires the same amount of times as a 4-stroke twin right. would this be possible to hook it up to only one cylinder, i think this would give you an accurate reading because it would think the one cylinder is going twice as fast so it would be like having it hooked to two cylinders. can anyone get what i am saying, if so then correct me if i am wrong.

would you not be able to get a tach for a 4-stroke twin and hook it up to one of the cylinders on a banshee because one bashee cylinder fires the same amount of times as a 4-stroke twin right. would this be possible to hook it up to only one cylinder, i think this would give you an accurate reading because it would think the one cylinder is going twice as fast so it would be like having it hooked to two cylinders. can anyone get what i am saying, if so then correct me if i am wrong.

364104[/snapback]

Thats not how a tach works. The tack takes the trigger signal from the coil not the output spark to the plug. In this sense you can not hook it up to one cylinder unless your Banshee has DIS which I doubt...

why all the four stroke mumbo, you would think there would be a way to power a sled tach, after all, my sled has no battery....maybe if you used your circuit as power, and your coil hot wire as a pick up, it would work

364212[/snapback]

thanks, i think i will just get a tach from a sled but there arent many that got up to 12000rmp are there? I dont think my banshee revs quite that high but i dont want the tach to bottom out.