Modded shift star problem?

Blue_SS

hey eveyrbody i put modded shift star on fe wweeks ago and seemed great and everything , but i raced it 2 weekends ago and i posted a shfiting problem on here bout me gettin stuck between gears like a neutral!! well i pulled motor and split cases and put all new forks in and rods and put back on and replaced shaft assembly and i got it all ready and i played with it right before i put case back on, i was turning clutch and going through gears and i noticed my problem right there, was still gettin stuck between gears!!! whats happeneing is on the modded shift star with the points grinded down and u know there is a roller below the shift star or dont actually roll but looks like one!!! when changin gears the shift star stops on top of the roller when the roller is actually suppose to be between the teeth on the star right? me and my mechanic helping me think the star is causing this because with the stock star the points on it are not wide at all and the points have no chance of sittin on the roller which is a neutral between gears!!! i hope this makes sense to youy guys, i have yet tried the stock start un modded back yet but i think this will solve it i hope, if any of you have encountered this fill me in please thanks

Did you buy the modded star used????

358929[/snapback]

i bought the star from boonman which modded it , was a brand new star modded, it did shift better i grant u that but it alos cause slippage and let the star sit on top of roller which makes it miss gears specially under acceleration

When your testing the shifting before putting the cases back together I have noticed it won't shift right if there isn't a load on the sprocket shaft. Hold the output shaft as you spin the clutch it will prabablt shift better. Even a stock star won't shift very well without a load on the output shaft. I once had a stock modified star that would hang up between gears if you didn't wail on the shifter. It had flat spots on the grinded peaks. I went back to a stock star and have missed gears a lot less.

my bike has been missing a lot of gears lately,i have the top end off for a rebuild so i figured i would split the case to check out my problem,as i get the clutch basket off i noticed that the shift shaft is a very little bit out of adjustment. can someone tell me if a slight bit out of adjustment can make miss shifts? also looks like the shift shaft hooks are barely catching the pins on the shift star. how far toward the shift star do the hooks usually catch? as i was shifting back and forth between gears, i did not see it come off of the pins but with a little effort i could pull it right off of the pins .so the question is to split the motherfucker or try a new shiftshaft and risk being right back where i started.oh buy the way it is like most others i have read about it only misses gears when i am racing or under a load.it will either find some extra neutrals or, i shift and it stays in same gear

thanks

Mark

I modded my Own shift Star and it Stops on the peaks also But. that is when it was on the work Bench it's Never Missed a Shift when running.

Maybe the Arm with the little wheel has some drag or burr creating stall between shifts. One thought.

I just put my cases back together last week and I was going through the gears with out the shift star on yet and it still got stuck between gears so I don't think it has anything to do with the moded star.

I just put my cases back together last week and I was going through the gears with out the shift star on yet and it still got stuck between gears so I don't think it has anything to do with the moded star.

359049[/snapback]

That makes sense to. The Shift Drum is not a technical Marvel On modern engineering. He said he install new shift forks too? Break in time may be needed to seat them steel pins for little smoother shift.

Edited by Oilsmoke

don't get me wrong i have less missed shifts with the modded shift star than with the stocker,but i have obvious other problems also. i just found that my shift shaft is very slightly bowed.guess i'll go from there

359090[/snapback]

Do you need a Shift shaft?

Sorry for the delay on replying here. I have been on a hockey tournament. Anyways, Are you sure your shift shaft is adjusted to spec? This can cause problem, as will a worn shift shaft. The real only way that the shift star would hang up is if there were flat spots. I assure you that there are not. I turn them on a lathe, so they are all perfectly the same radius. The star is not the problem. I believe you have some other difficulties. The adjuster has been known to wear out. (the eccentric cam that adjusts the "at rest" position of the shift shaft) I would start there. They are fairly cheap, and an excellent place to start. I have had a couple cases where individuals thought the star was to blame for some difficulties, but not one case yet where it has been the cause. Keep in mind, I do have a money back guarantee on all my work. Noone has ever had to use it though... :shrugani: Keep me/us posted on the outcome of this... Thanks!! :cheers: