Removing stock U-Joint from 97 tahoe? how plz?

I am trying to remove my stock u-joint from my 97 tahoe 4x4, I cant seem to remove my rear u-joint from my rear drive-line, any tricks?

346555[/snapback]

take out the holding clip with some needle nose pliers then take a socket and a hammer and beat it out one way then flip it and beat it the other way. and it will have enough play so that you can remove it.

or use a press

clip? ok then there is my problem lol ive been banging on the things for awhile even heated them up, where is the clip at? I see nothing at all.... some guy at the auto store said its wax? and when i heat them up it just melts there way loose.

*shurg*

maybe a picture if possible you can find online, any help with be greatful I really need my car tomorrow thanks.

If it's the origional U-joint there is an epoxy that has to be headed with a torch to remove it. When it gets hot enough the epoxy will flow out - then beat the joint out but be careful you don't bend the ears on the driveshaft.

well its the original u-joint will a little propane torch be hot enough to heat the entire thing? How long should it take? Will it just come out by itself or do i need to heat it up then try to get a little pick and hit it through?

346596[/snapback]

I used acetelene torch so propane will definitly take longer but still should get hot enough. The shit will just start squirting out when its hot enough then remove the u-joint the same way any other u-joint.

Guest nightmare

I got mine out with a propane torch. There is regular clips holding it in there too. You probabally already knew that, but if not they are on the inside of the ears on the drive shaft. just pop them off with screwdrivers if you don't have snapring pliars. Hope that helps you out.