WTF is a Jacob Brake?

You ever hear big Semis when they slow down make a loud ass noise? That's when they are using their jake brake. Something about shifting down blah blah blah, IM not real sure. But I think when you see signs that say "No Jake Brakes" it's because they are loud ass fook. That's my guess.

jake brake is trucker talk..you ever hear that loud ass noise when a trucker is slowing down..also known as an exhaust break.basically uses the engine to slow the tractor trailer down

346007[/snapback]

exactly. damn things are loud.

Correct me if i'm wrong please...

but a jake brake (engine brake) retards the timing on a diesel engine, thus slowing it down. It is quite loud and where i live in the city or most populated areas they are "illegal" or frowned upon because it disturbs the residents

Most open the exhaust valves on the compression stroke allowing the compression to go out of the cylinder, therefore the engine makes no power on a couple of cylinders, usually 2 or 4. That slows it down w/o burning up the brakes on long downhill grades, etc. Plus they sound really good through a set of 8" straight pipes. Most of the bigger trucks don't use the butterfly valves. Your light to medium duty trucks use those. Those are what you put on your Powestrokes and Cummins motors in the 3/4 and 1 tons. Too much expense to put a big-truck style exhaust brake on one.

Edited by patrolman808

I got a buddy that runs a dump truck for excavating comp...... anytime he's coming home late he'll detour 10miles outa his way just to jake brake it by my house :angry: .

Mike

346346[/snapback]

Guess he won't be involved in the next Teamster's strike about the high cost of diesel then, huh? :confused:

-Bill

Most open the exhaust valves on the compression stroke allowing the compression to go out of the cylinder, therefore the engine makes no power on a couple of cylinders, usually 2 or 4. That slows it down w/o burning up the brakes on long downhill grades, etc. Plus they sound really good through a set of 8" straight pipes. Most of the bigger trucks don't use the butterfly valves. Your light to medium duty trucks use those. Those are what you put on your Powestrokes and Cummins motors in the 3/4 and 1 tons. Too much expense to put a big-truck style exhaust brake on one.

346344[/snapback]

The Jake brake opens the exhaust valve just as the air reaches maximum compression, dumping all of that energy in an almost instantaneous explosive release. The result is a very effective slowing of the vehicle as mechanical energy is converted to heat and then dumped. The Jake brake effectively transforms the internal combustion engine into an air compressor.

What my wife said (SHEe DEVIL) about the exhaust brake is also true. More common then you might think, they are commonly used on smaller deisel engines, and even some bigger ones. Usually on deisel engines under 400HP ....IE Cummins N14 and smaller or Cat C-12 and smaller. I have a C-11 in my sterling, and it has an exhaust brake, not a Jake. Its a slow ass pig when loaded up over 60,000 gvw, but I dont go really far either, usually under 300 miles one way.

Both are loud, but the jake is much louder, and both are illegal within city limits......

Edited by red ore