WTF is a Jacob Brake?

The term "jake brake" does come from the brand "Jacobs". The one on my truck has 3 settings, Hi, Med, and Low. On high, it uses all 6 cylinders, and without a trailer, it will send you into the windshield, lol. What's cool about mine, is that if I leave my cruise control in the ON position, the jake only comes on when I hit the brake peddle, and does'nt turn off until I touch the fuel or clutch peddle. makes it a lot easier to upshift, since I never touch the clutch when shifting.

out of curiosity, whats it cost to have on put on a truck?

346951[/snapback]

Well, the cost would be quite considerable. Cinsidering that the entire engine would have to be changed. You cannot "add" a "Jake" brake. They are factory equipped, and due to their inherent design, they cannot be added to any engine originally not designed to have one. It has been explained pretty good here. As the engine is compressing the air mixture, (when the jake is on)at or near TDC, the exhaust valve opens, and dumps the air. So, the engine is working to compress the air, and then it is all let out. Now, if you didn't have a Jake, all the air that was compressed, would now be expanding on the down stroke, after the compression stroke, and actually "help" the engine spin over a little easier because it would be pushing back down on the piston. Which, being a diesel engine, it has an unrestricted air intake, and the engine could just freewheel. In theory. We had a Loooooong discussion about engine braking a while ago. An exhaust brake as mentioned, is the butterfly valve. It works, as it loads the engine with backpressure, and backs up all the air that the engine is compressing and sending out the exhaust. 2 different animals, both with the same end goal in mind. Saving brakes, and using the engine to slow you down. :headbang:

I might have the loudest jaking non straight piped kenworth on earth in my driveway, these guys are all correct, a jake is called a jack because most of your engine brakes are made by jacobs...I hardly have ever seen a jake on a cat, cummins, or detroit that wasnt made by jacobs...all three of our trucks have them, and all three are jacobs...I would say most of your bigger trucks, by the major manufactures are gonna have engine, not exhaust brakes....they are really a neat deal and I am a jakin' bandit....use it on the way up to make shifts quicker, and on the way down because if i was to ever touch the brakes I think my dad would castrate me

exhaust brake will not slow you down like a jake brake... also the newer e motors the jakes seem to help alot more then the b motors they seem more for sound but help a lil...i know when i'm haulin :bolt: azz in my 99 pete(500hp) :drool::notworthy: with 125,000lbs :o hauling a machine it helps to have the jake when some dumazz pulls in front of me :whoa:banghead ...

all this trucker talks has got me excited

like most have said there are 2 type of brakes, exhaust and jake brake

the exhaust work for small vehicles, the new mercedes motor what my company has in their shitty ass freightliner use it. it slows a semi down for crap.

jakes vary the valves to slow the motor down.

if you want to feel the best jakes the new cummins with twin overhead cams create like 600 hp of braking power thats a shit load. motor makes 525-550 hp of pulling power. :drool: