Clutch Suggestions?

dajogejr

I have had no problems with my Barnett. I haven't tried EBC, but a friend has EBC and the springs wouldn't hold his motor, had to get the Barnett springs. This is on a ported Banshee with CPI's and 35mm carbs.

you want my opinion on all of them? junk, junk, junk. ive tried them all with the exception of the tusk. ive never had any of them last very long. if you are completely stock then you would prolly be alright with an EBC. ill never buy another barnett for anything ever again. otherwise i would use the streetbike clutch kit and springs. thats what ive got now in my 4mm and theres no slippage whatsoever. i can fell the power getting to the ground. i know a guy that sells them for about 95 bucks i think. its pricey but it will hold up.

jeff wendorff at FAST racing....1 785 364 5325

tell him tyler clark sent you...

you want my opinion on all of them? junk, junk, junk. ive tried them all with the exception of the tusk. ive never had any of them last very long. if you are completely stock then you would prolly be alright with an EBC. ill never buy another barnett for anything ever again. otherwise i would use the streetbike clutch kit and springs. thats what ive got now in my 4mm and theres no slippage whatsoever. i can fell the power getting to the ground. i know a guy that sells them for about 95 bucks i think. its pricey but it will hold up.

jeff wendorff at FAST racing....1 785 364 5325

tell him tyler clark sent you...

345260[/snapback]

I have heard the same running fibers from a R-6 (I think) and stock banshee steels.i myself run the stock clutch and barnett springs.I tried dirt digger and for some reason I had no luck so i went back to my old set up that has lasted many years.

IF you have a hi horsepower motor the tusk clutch is a price of shit I went thru 2 of them in a month time. But if you don't have a lot done its a grate clutch. But I found out that the best overall clutch is the Barnett dirt digger clutch

345239[/snapback]

Tusk was a POS for me one dune ride it slipped all day.

Barnett with Kevlar Pads (not cork) work a lot better.

I was told to put 2 whole quarts of fluid so it never starves when dragging.

i just finished redoing my clutch this morning and got to ride a little today. Hinson basket, new stock hub and pressure plate, Tusk clutch kit, and like locogato said, there's a definite change in feel of power to the ground. i kept all 6 EBC HD springs in her though, and now i see why a lot of guys go with 3 stockers, and 3 HD's :huh: But so far, I'm impressed with my Tusk kit. can't beat it for $35 :clap:

I've run Barnette for a while, I burn em' up quite a bit but the amout of abuse and the fact that I'm still on the same fibers after 3 years..it's a strong clutch...requires a lot of ajusting though. And the kevlar plates make a mess out of your tranny oil..don't like that too much. I think I'll try streetbike trick on my next clutch.

I've run Barnette for a while, I burn em' up quite a bit but the amout of abuse and the fact that I'm still on the same fibers after 3 years..it's a strong clutch...requires a lot of ajusting though. And the kevlar plates make a mess out of your tranny oil..don't like that too much. I think I'll try streetbike trick on my next clutch.

345438[/snapback]

Same here, get them so hot it won't shift at all, thing locked in gear at one point. Everytime I inspect the plates they still look new. :shrugani: So far so good, some hellacious tough plates.

Alrighty...you guys aren't making this easy...

Stock bore, stock motor. Porting later this year.

T5's, Toomey/DynoJet kit, K&N Pods and Boyesen Reeds. So...it's not a high horsepower machine, and I might go to the dunes once or twice this year tops. Mostly going to be a trail bike with friends....

It's a 96 with stock in it now...ORIGINAL stock. But, the motor was out for 5 years...so, realistically it's only got about 4 years of use or so...

Gonna ride today, see how it feels. If anything...I think I'm gonna go Barnett from Magic...less than a 100 for the kit.

I beleive the Spring to be The biggest factor on how a clutch last in your shee. :headbang:

I had a 350 piped & ported with 34mm carbs and it slipped in 3rd gear climbing & draggin.

I biuldt a Passion 12 port 385cc and Only added 3 tommey HD spring and It's NEVER SLIPPED AGIAN so make sure you get 3 from them. 6 is too many

It's pretty stiff with 3 Tommey and standard Lever length. Oh this is a Stock yamaha Steels & fiber too.

True true..good springs will make the clutch, but the size of the fiber plates of an aftermarket clutch dwarfs the stock fibers. Plus a good aftermarket set will only run ya about 80 bucks..OEM is kinda costly...least the last time I checked. Now the larger size of the aftermarket plates will require heavier springs to keep from slipping due to the greater amount of surface area. But it will last alot longer under hard abuse then the stock plates will...that is a proven fact. Try to dispute it. So it doesn't matter persay what brand you buy, unless it's an OEM copy, it should outperform oem standards. But I think the argument is which brand is the best. And to what standard are we comparing them to? Best in price? Best in performance? or a compromise? How about availibility? Or ease of installation? Hinson has a clutch set out with enlarged fingers to better save the basket from wear and tear..My biggest factors for determining the best basicall boils down to price, availibility and ease of installation. Toomey, Barnet, ebc, hinson, all neck and neck in ease of installation, how about availibility? Barnette is VERY easy to find, Toomey and hinson are a little harder to get ahold of and EBC is easy to get as well, so now we have price. Barnette is cheaper in my area then EBC..and it is more readily available. So in my opnion Barnette is the best clutch kit. It's not too pricey and you can find it anywhere more then not it's even in stock and you can walk out the store the same day with what you need and know it's going to work .

Damn..you think I work for Barnette huh?

Magic Racing is about 15 miles from my house. They stock EBC and Barnett.

Both are 89 bucks...

Toomey is a few bucks more, and shipping...I love Toomey products, I just hate paying their shipping rates.

I would probably put stock back in..but, here's the deal. I'm sure the stock plates and springs are 15 to 30% more money. Plus, I hate going to the dealer...

So...I'm just gonna get me a Barney...soak er...and ride. I'm quite sure if a stocker held up this long, a barney 'll be fine...