Backfiring

Maverick302

Problem just recently (and randomly) started happening to the banshee. It's a bitch to start up, and when it runs it idles on the left cylinder, and when i rev it(neutral or any gear) about halfway into the powerband the right side kicks in and it revs up much qucker. The engine is really erratic and somewhat unpredictable (more than usual :evil: ) Throttle response is delayed and when i let off it still wants to keep revving for a second. Its backfiring through the carbs on both sides. It's not an electrical problem, and compression is fine. Its run on the same jetting in this weather before so i know its not that. My guess is a fuel problem. The backfiring suggests a lack of fuel entering the cylinder. Any suggestions?

this could be a number of things... but if it just happening on one side i doubts its the timing plate.. i would check and make sure your jets are clean and not clogged and also check the lil wires going to your plugs wires ..one time my bros banshee had one lose and when he would rev it it would pop and backfire like crazy.. if none of these i might have sucked a reed on the left side or the side that is running like shit...

Took the carb off, slides move fine, jets all clean, still popping. The pipe blued really far up (almost past the bracket to the frame) after I ran it for a while, again indicating a lean condition. Any other suggestions? I have a kill switch tether, could that be acting up? Should I try to disconnect it? I don't get it, it's getting fuel (the carbs are at least), it's getting spark, and it's getting air. Could jetting be the culprit? Like I said it ran in the same weather before with no problems, but after running it in the snow for a while it started misfirning and then cut out completely, and after I ran it and the pipe blued, it started popping and backfiring.

when i run my shee in the snow that always happens. it has NEVER happened to me in the summer but as soon as it hits snow it will usually happen

328139[/snapback]

I guess it's just leaning out? I'm getting a little paranoid cause I'm getting rid of it soon and I want it to be in the best possible condition for the next guy.

I was running it slightly rich in the summer, because the track I raced at had different elevation charecteristics, therefore a denser air charge. But like I said, It has been ridden in the cold before, and it just slowly and steadily got worse and worse (from an occasional miss to backfiring every few seconds to not firing at all, with the occasional firing and revving). I have 290's in there now, should I bump them up to a 320 maybe?

Do you have the TORS disconnected? It sounds like a carb issue. Did you clean the carbs? Pull the jets out, and be absolutely sure. I also had reeds go bad, and it exhibited the same problem you describe. Kind of. An air leak is possible. But the bluing of the pipe, scares me. Tells me that a carb is really lean.