Only running on One Cylinder

thanx15

Hello,

I have a banshee, that I just installed the Vito's TORS Eliminator kit on. I started the quad up and It will only run on the right cylinder.

I checked the following:

1) I have strong, blue spark on both plug wires

2) Replaced both plugs with new ones

3) Cleaned both Carbs

4) Swapped Plug Wires and still no left cylinder

5) Replaced the reeds

6) Check Compression

7) Verified the ground on the back by the CDI

8) Checked that I had gas both in the tank as well as to the carbs.

I am at a loss, just about ready to burn this thing.

My buddies Banshee is doing the same thing ,He doesnt have the tors removed so we are going to try to disconnect them later today and see if this helps,did you check the hose that connects the two carbs?I dont know from experience ,but from reading so much on this forum lots of people have said this hose has come off causing this problem.Good luck hope you figure out whats wrong with it so then maybe it will be the same thing for us.

i know you said you cleaned the carbs, but it sounds like you have a problem with the left carb.if comp. is good, and spark is good, with the engine running spray some carb cleaner in to the oppening of the left carb...see if that will fire the left cyl, if it does then it is a carb problem.

good luck.

did you check and make sure you put your choke tube between carbs back on??? also make sure you did not get the slides crossed and put them in backwards.. they will only go in one way but if you get them crossed they will be in backwards and bike runs like shit...also you might mess with throttle to see if slides are moving the same...

Try to isolate your problem first, then work on the solution. It sounds like you have a problem with the left carb. But find out for sure by swaping sides with the carbs. Put the right carb on the left cylinder and visa-versa. You will need to plug off the holes where the choke tube goes.

If the problem moves to the right cylinder, then you know that the carb is the problem. If it stays on the left cylinder, then you need to be looking at other things.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are two magnets on the flywheel. One triggers the spark for the left cylinder, one triggers the spark for the right cylinder. But anytime either magnet passes by the mag pick-up it fires both spark plugs. One piston is at the top of the compression stroke and that cylinder fires. The other piston is at the bottom of it's stroke and that spark is wasted. But, half of a crank revolution later, the other magnet passes by the mag pick-up and fires both plugs again. This time the other cylinder fires and spark is wasted in the cylinder that burned half a revolution ago. I point this out because if one of the magnets was missing or had lost its magnitude (from a hammer strike or something similar) there would be spark from both wires, but it would only be timed properly for one cylinder to burn. So upon initial inspection it would look like both cylinders are getting spark when they really aren't. The best way to check for this is by borrowing a flywheel that is known to be good. It would be very rare for a magnet be damaged, but it is possible.

i had the same problem year back , but mine was pretty simple i did everything you did, and then the guys on here told me to check my packing in the pipes , and drain gas put fresh gas in it . those two things helped... it fired right up and havent had a prob. since dont know if this helps but...

what mods do you have? how old is the gas in it ?

• 1 year later...

ive had this problem too. it happens to me every year. so will a 2-1 carb eliminate this problem of only one cylinder firing?

i had the same problem had fire but cylinder wasnt hitting come to found out the problem was the stator had a nick in it we spliced it together and was checking the carbs which is lectrons and we had the float upside down which caused it to not get fuel :banghead: damn i felt stupid we also tried it with one float that was a mistake i think :whistling: