whats the point?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys. when i was watching h7 today i was wondering what the point is of the upper a-arm? if it wasnt there couldnt the quad be a bit lighter and such?

318142[/snapback]

theres a million reasons why you need them, 1 is so the wheel will be straight, if there was no upper arm then what would the top of the spindle hook to? all the weight would rest on the ball joint and you would probably bend your tie rods by just sitting on it

the reason you have a top and bottom is for when you suspension travels it keeps the tires straight.. if you had only a bottom like the mini quads you can have but about 1/2 in of suspension cus the tire will fold up into the frame or fender if you had more then a 1/2 in

the reason you have a top and bottom is for when you suspension travels it keeps the tires straight..  if you had only a bottom like the mini quads  you can have but about 1/2 in of suspension cus the tire will fold up into the frame or fender if you had more then a 1/2 in

318169[/snapback]

As an automotive engineer, that explanation just makes me sad.

:cry:

As an automotive engineer, that explanation just makes me sad.

:cry:

318228[/snapback]

that is sad.

BTW, struts will never work on a high performance long travel suspension. there would be too much weight due to the huge shock required. we are all better off with A-arms. they are a gift from the metal gods.

look at an older ford truck that had I-Beam front suspension....then watch it "navigate" bumps. The tire doesnt stay straight up and down with suspension travel....it works, but works like shit. Never mix ford idea's with cool stuff....it'll get ya in trouble

look at an older ford truck that had I-Beam front suspension....then watch it "navigate" bumps.  The tire doesnt stay straight up and down with suspension travel....it works, but works like shit.  Never mix ford idea's with cool stuff....it'll get ya in trouble

318252[/snapback]

haha no shit. you can get massive travel out of those trucks though, if you like to have 45* of camber change. :huh:

Bansheefreestyler I commend you on your curiosity and feel that you are just a natural when it comes to ATV's. I believe you may be on to something here. Forget what the rest of these guys think! I mean look at the back end, its only got a axle and no A-Arms at all yet it still has plenty of travel. Personally I think you should go talk to a good welder (not one that knows physics very well) and see if he could help you rig up an axle to the front end. That would be the first step, figuring out the steering is something you can do after you get the frame all hacked up. For now just get rid of those useless A-Arms and get ya a good sturdy axle up front. Heck you may even consider mounting a swing arm up front also for the wheel travel. just turn it around and have you middle school welding buddy tack it to the motor cases. POST PICS WHEN YOU GET IT DONE! :bolt: