woods port

Dakota02

For those of u that hav eric gorrs woods port, i was wondering what exhaust system you have found to work best with that port job. i understand that it is a bottom/midrange port, but i was wondering what pipes will also give you a decent top end pull from it because i would like to have all of that bottom and mid, but i would still like some top-end pull for when i drag race. Thanks!

I'm running Paul Turners Midrange pipes and they work awesome, but these pipes aren't known for their top end, hence the name. Stevie boy, stclark, has been running Toomey T5s and they ripped ass on midrange and top end, he said they had pretty decent low as well, and now he's traded for some Shearer drag pipes and i'm sure they'll work good for that.

So, you can pretty much run whatever pipe you want. I'd personally recommend Fatties or T5s for all around riding. Fatties are my personal preference for all-around pipes and they work awesome with portwork. Stephen really like his T5 setup, so you choose.

His portwork works really good though, nice and smooth powerband. :cheers:

i would go with toomeys. thats just me tho. just about any pipe will compliment the woods port very well. its def a bottom to mid port job and if you go with a top end pipe youll have the total package. plus with that porting you can run a high gear up front. my bro pretty much kept a 16 on all the time no matter what he was doing. sometimes even went to a 17 for hillclimbs.

what the hell is the definition of a woods port anyway? I guess you could remove the casting flaws around the transfer tunnels, clean up the intake port some, work with the transfers angles some (there is a ton to be gained here), widen the exhaust port some and get to 57 hp and have more bottom end power than stock. you wouldn't even need a degree wheel to do something like that. seems like a pretty potent combo actually. I'd like to see the dyno chart st and see what kinda rpm it's turning. or at least what rpm peak torque was produced at and the rpm at which peak horsepower was produced. shearer pipes on an engine with stock or near stock timing won't work well as others though. t5's are probably the ticket on this motor.

traded for some Shearer drag pipes and i'm sure they'll work good for that.

So, you can pretty much run whatever pipe you want. I'd personally recommend Fatties or T5s for all around riding. Fatties are my personal preference for all-around pipes and they work awesome with portwork. Stephen really like his T5 setup, so you choose.

His portwork works really good though, nice and smooth powerband. :cheers:

297527[/snapback]

How do you like the Pt mids compared to the fmfs w/ the porting??? On a stock porting, I thought Pt mids had more low end w/ = top end...

How do you like the Pt mids compared to the fmfs w/ the porting??? On a stock porting, I thought Pt mids had more low end w/ = top end...

298616[/snapback]

Good question, wish I could compare evenly. I sold my Fatties while the cylinders were being ported, to help pay for some of that. That's a big regret. I wish I still had them to try out with the portwork, I bet they'd have been awesome.

I'll say that the low end is crazy. The midrange is even crazier, frigging insane. It pulls really hard from idle and keeps pulling. The powerband is ultra smooth, no hit at all, just perfectly smooth.

I'll also say that as it sits, it seems to fall off a little quicker, like there's not as much top end. Maybe just that the low/mid is quite a bit stronger and gives the feeling of it falling off some, dunno. Before, I'd take a corner with the revs up some and let it rev out, and with the setup now, it seems to fall off quick and I have to shift out of the corner that way. So, now I've gotten a little more accustomed to taking corners with the rpms somewhat lower and letting the low/mid pull me out and it works really well. Kind of like 4 stroke torque I guess.

I went from a 15/41 with the stock cylinders and Fatties, to a 15/38 with the portwork and PTs. After the portwork and pipes, the 15/41 gearing felt like a 13 front tooth.

I'd still like to tinker with the jetting and gearing a little more, and I'll be making a dyno day real real soon. I might go ahead and get another set of Fatties to play with also.

Later.

You just described my shee w/o the porting. When you first go to the mid pipes you have to quickshift. When I drag, I was just grabbing one gear after another w/ the 16/42 gears. Those pipes aren't pulling peak torque at high rpms, they pull the hardest around 6000rpms...One of the best things that I like about them is that it seems like my motor doesn't have to peak out anymore, just let the torque pull at low rpms. Takes a few rides to get use to, but look at the less wear you'll have on the motor... B)

Takes a few rides to get use to, but look at the less wear you'll have on the motor... B)

298732[/snapback]

Less wear on the motor and myself...

It took me exactly two laps on a nearby 10 mile xc course to get used to. The first lap worked my ass from doing what I was used to doing, and the second lap was decent. By the fourth lap, I was riding much faster, more consistent, and didn't feel like I was working near as hard, letting the machine do the work. The last lap was almost effortless with the low end torque and I didn't want to quit.

I'm sure with time, it'll only get better. Now, if I can only fill the pinhole leak by the cylinder that keeps shittin on my purty frame.... <_<

what the hell is the definition of a woods port anyway? I guess you could remove the casting flaws around the transfer tunnels, clean up the intake port some, work with the transfers angles ........

298528[/snapback]

Well, best way for me to define Gorr's woods port for you is this:

intakebefore.jpg

intakeafter.jpg