Banshee Will Not Cold Start

FireHead

I picked up a new Banshee a couple days ago and it will not cold start without starting fluid. Everything is mechanically sound on the bike, but I'm not sure about the carbs. I normally would use my exhasut gas analyzer to jet them, but I'm out of CalGas at the moment and it may be a few days out. I'm thinking I might need bigger pilot jets, but this bike shouldn't have enough done for it to need larger than stock pilots. It has 310 mains.

Someone please tell me what I need to do or what I am doing wrong.

:notworthy:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What mods are done to it? I know you said new banshee but obviously it's not stock if you're running 310 mains. I was having the same problem last week and I had to adjust my idle screws and still need to adjust my needle to get it perfect. BUT, I did get it from not starting cold to starting on the first couple kicks with just adjusting the idle screw. Have you tried adjusting them?

I'd also suggest playing with the idle screws. I had a similar situation happen to me a while back and I adjusted the idle and it fired up on the first kick. I'm sure you've already checked this, but make sure the choke tube isn't missing. If it's off this would definately cause it to start shitty.

What mods are done to it? I know you said new banshee but obviously it's not stock if you're running 310 mains. I was having the same problem last week and I had to adjust my idle screws and still need to adjust my needle to get it perfect. BUT, I did get it from not starting cold to starting on the first couple kicks with just adjusting the idle screw. Have you tried adjusting them?

282528[/snapback]

I'd suggest you may want to turn in your air screws a bit to richen up the idle mixture. With the cold dense air it may be a tad lean at idle and the choke isn't richening it up quite enough at startup. If the bike idles at a decent rpm once its warmed up then I wouldn't mess with the idle scews although it may start a bit easier with a slightly high idle.

Check to see if the choke tube is in place between the two carbs. Its 1/4" dia. x 2" long. Then you might have to pull the carb bowls off to see if they weren't swapped. Only one carb bowl is capable of supplying fuel for the choke, so make sure they haven't been swapped.

Check to see if the choke tube is in place between the two carbs. Its 1/4" dia. x 2" long. Then you might have to pull the carb bowls off to see if they weren't swapped. Only one carb bowl is capable of supplying fuel for the choke, so make sure they haven't been swapped.

282875[/snapback]

The choke tube is properly in place. I have fooled around wit the idle screws and really didn't get anywhere. I have also tweaked the idle air screws. None of this seems to help. The things that separate it from a stock bike are Boyesen RAD Valves, open air cleaners, drag port job, drag pipes, Dyna box on curve 1, and a coolehead configuration that is making 230 psi. The carbs are stock, bored to 28mm by White Knuckle Racing. I only know that because the guy had the receipt for it. As far as I know I do not have any air leaks and nothing else is real screwy.

Thanks for all the help, please keep it coming.

:headbang:

282875[/snapback]

The choke tube is properly in place. I have fooled around wit the idle screws and really didn't get anywhere. I have also tweaked the idle air screws. None of this seems to help. The things that separate it from a stock bike are Boyesen RAD Valves, open air cleaners, drag port job, drag pipes, Dyna box on curve 1, and a coolehead configuration that is making 230 psi. The carbs are stock, bored to 28mm by White Knuckle Racing. I only know that because the guy had the receipt for it. As far as I know I do not have any air leaks and nothing else is real screwy.

Thanks for all the help, please keep it coming.

:headbang:

282888[/snapback]

having a drag port, drag pipes, and bigger carbs, 310 mains sound lean to me and a stock pilot is probabaly to small. I would increase the pilot myself and see how it starts. you may need to increase your mains also.

also at 230 psi cylinder pressure you need race fuel. bad gas will also make it hard to start.

Edited by FIRST BANSHEE

I am running a brand new tank of 120 leaded race gas.  What size mains do you reccomend and what size pilots?  I will be running at sea level.

:notworthy:

283035[/snapback]

I would pick up a 27.5 and 30 for the pilot unless your close to a parts store. On the main i would start at 350, every machine is different though.

those are some heavy mods especially for stock carbs. Did you check to see if you have the right carb bowl on the right carb? The bowl on the choke carb should have a brass tube and a tiny jet in the bowl. This is for the choke. If you put the right carb bowl on the left carb, then the choke won't work...very important and will solve your problem. If they are correct, then I'd try some larger pilots, I'd start w/ the 30's and go from there...The mains do sound small for those mods. Was these carbs used on this shee when you bought it? At what elevation was he running?

These are the carbs that the guy was running on the bike. He said he had the smae problem I had, but it wasn't as big of deal when it was warmer. He was running it at sea level as well. I didn't pay attention to which float bowl was on which carb. I'll have to check that.

:cheers: