still not running

Liftedbronco

so i am still fighting to get my quad to run since last summer....i just kinda lost interedst a few times in defeat. All i did was take off the airbox lid and do a prodesign foam filter. Well it wont start unless i roll it down a hill and dump the clutch. then it wont idle unless revved. at this point it seems to run best on 200 mains. i tried up to 240.

The questions is where are the airscrews on my 04? I thought they were on top of the carbs where i have to take the seat off to get to em. Now im being told theyre on the side of the carbs....ir. thebansheezone.com diagram.

Help!

If you adjusted the big screws that are on the very top of the TORS on top of the carbs.... you adjusted the idle on the bike so that is why it won't idle.

The air screws are the small brass screws on the sides of the carbs. You don't have to take the seat off to get to the air screws.

Sounds like you need to get a Clymers manual before you do any more work on your bike. The manual has pix of everything.

well that answers my question....yea i do need to get one, this is my first quad.  Im a car guy...

Thanks so much for the help.  Can you give me a baseline number of turns out i should have on the tors idle screws?

Thx! :clap:

281058[/snapback]

Not really sure, just make sure that they are both equal. adjust them until the bike idles nicely.

check your jetting too, running too lean is gonna give you problems. Im sure you dont wanna deal with problems on a new bike.

well that answers my question....yea i do need to get one, this is my first quad.  Im a car guy...

Thanks so much for the help.  Can you give me a baseline number of turns out i should have on the tors idle screws?

281058[/snapback]

"Ideally" the idle/air screws should be 1.5 to 2.5 turns out. But, technically you just adjust them until it runs good, and DEFINITELY make sure both carbs are adjusted the same...Anything over 3 to 3.5 turns out is too much and you'll need to change your pilot jets. I seriously doubt you'll have to change pilot jets though from changing the air filter...

281058[/snapback]

The knobs on top of the carbs are your idle screws and should be adjusted to make your carbs in sync w/ one another. If not then one exhaust will smoke more than the other and the throttle response will suffer greatly. To adjust them, pull the air filter and grab a flashlight. Look inside the intake to view the slides of the carbs, turn the idle knob so the slide "bottoms out" then turn the idle knob one full turn so the slide moves up. Do this to both sides and your carbs will be synced and idle should be very close. If you need another 1/4 turn on the idle, then do so, but make = changes to both sides. The air screws are gold colored on the carb sides and should be between .5-2.5 turns out. Adjust them to the best throttle response. Different elevations will affect the position. You shouldn't have to change the pilots, but will probably be between a 230-250 main jet. Check your plugs after a wide open run in 6th gear to adjust the mains. They should be a dark brown color. Tan is too lean, and black is too rich...