A few Carb/ Intake Questions

95blazer

I have come up with a few questions as I've been trying to dial my bike in.

1. I have the UPP intakes, and was wondering how I should be sealing them to the reed cage? I know a gasket goes between the reed cage and cylinder mating surface, and that on a stock intake there is a rubber seal which eliminates the need for a gasket between the intake and reed cage. But on the UPP intake there is no such rubber seal. What is everyone else doing with these, are you just using another gasket?

2.What is everyone's opinion on the best reed for use with the stock cage? Or should I just get the V-Forces, for an extra $100 or so. I have not ported my motor, am using stock carbs, running about 160psi compression, and running race gas.

3. Is reading plugs any different for a motor running VP C-12, than a motor running pump gas. For example does the desired color range differ at all.

4. Currently I am running a 350 main and am using the 4th clip on the stock needle, pro circuit pipes, 160psi compression, k&n clamp-ons, race gas, +4 timing advance, and boyesen reeds. I always ride at Glamis which is at sea level and in about 70 degree temps. The plug makes me think the bike is running lean, but 350 seems to me to be a pretty big main for my mods. Is it possible that I would need to run 370's or 380's? Let me know what you guys are running at Glamis or with similar mods.

Sorry for all of the questions.

Thanks,

Derek

Edited by 95blazer

If you have the extra 100 bones, get the VForce no question. You'll be glad you did later.

As far as the reed cage, I'm not really familiar with UPP's intake, but I imagine there's another gasket to use similar to the reed-cylinder side. And, is there a possibility that you have an air leak around that causing you to be using such a high main jet? If you lean at 350 with your mods, I'd look for an air leak. Use carb cleaner, propane (unlit of course), or something like that and spray the hell out of the intake and stuff to see if there's a change in the way it runs, if so, there's your leak.

Definetly buy the vforce if you wait you might be able to get the delta 3's.

350 mains aint terribly high but I would definetly just keep checking your plugs.

All you have to do is buy a extra set of the outer gaskets and use them on the inside they will work just fine. If you do have no gasket there is a chance you might be leaking causing your plug to look lean just remember every bike is a little different and you will need to keep doing plug chops.

Thanks for the responses.

When I assembled the motor I used Yamabond 4 between the intake and reed cage, I think it is working fine. I will just use a gasket when I replace the reeds. I don't think it is an air leak because both plugs look identical.

Sometimes it will run great but at others it will sort of miss during acceleration, I think it may be starving for fuel. I am going to run richer jets and see if it affects the plugs and solves my acceleration problem.

I will probably get the V-force reeds, since it seems to be a unanimous opinion that they are the best. What differences can I expect from them?

Also what is the best and easiest to find tool to measure the float height?

Finally, I would love to have only one carb to deal with. How would the trinity 2 into 1 kit work in the sand? Would I want the 33 or 35 keihin carb? How does this kit work in conjunction with v-force reeds? BY the way if anyone has this setup for sale please let me know!!!

Thanks,

Derek

Edited by 95blazer

Thanks for the responses.

When I assembled the motor I used Yamabond 4 between the intake and reed cage, I think it is working fine.  I will just use a gasket when I replace the reeds.  I don't think it is an air leak because both plugs look identical.

Sometimes it will run great but at others it will sort of miss during acceleration, I think it may be starving for fuel.  I am going to run richer jets and see if it affects the plugs and solves my acceleration problem.

I will probably get the V-force reeds, since it seems to be a unanimous opinion that they are the best.  What differences can I expect from them?

Also what is the best and easiest to find tool to measure the float height?

Finally, I would love to have only one carb to deal with.  How would the trinity 2 into 1 kit work in the sand?  Would I want the 33 or 35 keihin carb?  How does this kit work in conjunction with v-force reeds?  BY the way if anyone has this setup for sale please let me know!!!

Thanks,

Derek

279088[/snapback]

The trinity works great with the v-force and in the sand,get the 35.

I think leadfoot 350 wants to switch back to duals.

Well last trip I had I went way up on the jets and it runs a lot better but still needed bigger main and needle jets so maybe this thing will work out. I will see next trip.

279178[/snapback]

words of advice: if your having the "2-1 bigger main issue" and by this I mean it just seems to keep wanting bigger mains, take out the DEK needle and swap it with an EEK needle. That will get you the fuel you need for the main and make the transition into the main a lot better. Seriously, I've been there and gone through it.

I got the eek but now have to put the motor back in the quad. The right main bearing got messed up and I had to tear it all apart. Some guy from trinity about a year ago told be to get the eek and I dont know why I did not listen back then. Going to glamis either the 20th or t-day for sure.

Some guy from trinity about a year ago told be to get the eek and I dont know why I did not listen back then. Going to glamis either the 20th or t-day for sure.

279525[/snapback]

I wish someone would've told me about it, I had to figure that shit out on my own. :shootself: Let us know how it turns out then. :cheers: