chain tension

bonkers

I just bought a well used 2003 banshee. The chain was shot so I put a new DID x-ring on it. When i went to tighten the chain i saw that the chain rides on part of the frame. with weight on the bike the chain comes off the frame and the chain has tension. Should the chain be tightened with weight on the bike or off the ground ?

To each his own. Good rule of thumb, if you can pull the chain off of 4 teeth from the rear sprocket, it's too loose. However you set it up, if your not throwing chains and eating up sprockets then your doing something right.

You should warm the chain up first of all, don't test it when it's cold. It should have about 1/4 inches of play about 1/3 the way from the front sprocket towards the rear sprocket.

It depends on how much you way and your suspension. Just drive the bike a little stop it and sit on it and test it like that.

The manual says to raise the bike so that the rear suspension hangs. Then check play about halfway bewteen the front and rear sprockets. The chain on my bike is actually tighter when the rear suspension is hanging as opposed to me sitting on the bike.

Edited by 2stroker