Cutting Out

95blazer

Okay I finally got my shee out to Glamis and it ran great except for this weird problem. It would be running fine in the middle of a dune ride and then all of a sudden start cutting out and I would really have to work the throttle to keep it running and moving through the dunes. I shut it off once right after this happened and it wouldn't start, then after kicking for a while it started and ran great for the rest of the day. And then today we went for another ride we made it to Oldsmobile hill it was probably a 25 minute ride, it ran great all the way there. On the way back to camp it started to cut out again for about 2-3 minutes, once again I kept it running and all of a sudden it was fine. And then less than a mile from camp it started to do it again it was worse this time I could hardly even move, but again fixed itself and ran great by the time I made it back. I have no idea what could cause this, but to me it seems like it maybe an electrical issue. I say this because it feels like I am turning the kill switch on and off when this happens. The last time I stopped completely and it was still doing it so it has nothing to do with moving. Any guesses???

Here are my mods: .070 over pro-x pistons, head milled for race gas, K&N clamp-ons, pro circuit pipes, boost bottle, lightened flywheel, stock carbs with 350 mains, 30 pilots, and 3rd clip on needle, twist throttle with idle kit, UPP intakes, boyesen reeds, running VP C-12 mixed 36:1.

Thanks,

Derek

The fuel should be good, it is 2 week old VP C-12. It runs great most of the time, therefore I doubt it is a fuel problem. After doing some searching I found posts stating that the coil may start to act up after getting hot. This problem did only occur when the bike was hot, so I think this may be the problem. Has anyone else experienced this, if so what happened? Could this be the CDI acting up, or do these either work or not work?

Thanks,

Derek

Edited by 95blazer

Come on guys somebody must know if a bad coil will do this!!! Also will a CDI ever act intermittently like this? Finally it seems to only do it when it gets hot, so how do I test the electrical components for this condition.

Thanks,

Derek

Edited by 95blazer

Derek it sounds like you either have a loose connection (bad wiring) or your fuel starving. If you run a fuel filter and it has an air bubble in it or you have a really small filter I can see this happening. One side will run dry and you lose power but the motor can still be kept running on the one side. Around this time you roll into the bottom of a bowl or something and the fuel catches back up to the demand and it's back to normal or so you think. I would pull the exhaust and reeds and take a peek into the cylinders and make sure you have not seized/scored the pistons, rings, or cylinders. I have a motor on my desk waiting for a rebuild from a lean seize because of a fuel filter that could not keep up with the demand of the motor at wide open. This motor stuck a ring and scuffed a piston but kept running the second day. Good luck.

The carbs are clean, and there is plenty of fuel in the float bowls when this happens. I do run a fuel filter which is brand new, however I have run an Identical one for years without a problem. I am hoping it is the coil, I plan to test it within the next few days. It also could very well be the stator, which has not been replaced, I will check it also.

Thanks

Okay I tested the coil. I got .4 ohms resistance between the primarys, when I tried to check the secondary resistance nothing registered. I also trimmed the ends of the secondary leads and tested again once again there was nothing. Am I correct in assuming that this means the coil is toast? My question how did my bike run at all when there is absolutely no secondary resistance?

Thanks,

Derek

Mine's been doing the same thing. It only happens every once in a while for no apparent reason, then goes away without doing anything special. I noticed it after going to a 58 pilot. Now I'm down to a 45 and I haven't had the problem. Then again it seemed to always happen after a couple hours of riding and I haven't been doing that much riding lately.