Steering wobble

Can anyone help with this? At 35 mph, my steering starts to wobble badly and just beats you to death if you try to stayt at that spped or higher. Anyone got any idea what might be causing this and how it can be fixed? This really takes all the fun outta travelling down long smooth dirt roads...Thanx!

Thanx for the replies folks...I've just recently purchased this machine and am new to 4 wheelers in general. Is there any online resources available that might give instruction on wheel/tire balancing and alignment procedures? I took it out for a ride yesterday with the front plastic removed, but that didn't give me any clearer idea of what might be causing this. The tie rod ends seem to have about the same amount of threads showing and I've given the wheels a shake to see if some bearing might need replacing, but it's still a mystery to me..Thanx for your time Banshee Buds..I'm really new at this and maybe old farts such as myself just shouldn't play on Banshees..lol

What it shakes are the handle bars steady but the wheels shaking or does the shaking front end make the bars wobble too?

There are about 1000 things that could cause this problem and you should make sure you figure it out before you do too much agressive riding.

First jack up the front and slowly rotate one front tire. Use a tape measure or ruler to measure from the rim to the frame and see if either of the front rims are bent.

While it's up, from the side of the quad grab the top of the tire and the bottom and slowly push the top of the tire toward the frame and then pull on the top of the tire and push in on the bottom of the tire. Listen and look for any play. This will take some close attention because the A arms at the frame, the ball joints, and the wheel bearings will all be effected by this test. You may also notice play in the lower and upper shock mounts. ANY play should be noted. If there is play in the wheel bearing, tighten that bearing up a little and see if it improves. If there is play in the A arms or ball joints, you will need new A arm bushings/ or bearings {I sell bearings for this application if you need them and give HQ members a discount}. If your ball joints are bad, you need new A arms. There is no way to service the stock ball joints.

While you have it up, grab the tire and the tie rod and see if there is any play in the tie rod end. Also look at the bottom of the steering stem where it meet the frame and move it by hand left to right to see if there is any play there.

Put it back down and put your foot next to the tire and slowly move the handle bars as if you are trying to turn. Your foot will prevent the bike from turning. Now look again at the tie rod ends, the steering stem lower pivot point and the top of the stem by the bars {you may want to remove the radiator plastic to see this in clear view}.

Push down on the front sharply and listen for clunking noises you can also lift up sharply on the front and listen for noises that would indicate sloppy suspension.

It is important that your front suspension be in excellent condition at all times. Loose steering results in loss of control and what's worse is losing a ball joint or tie rod and really biting it banghead

You may also have a bent rear axle or extra loose rear suspention but that is less ikely than the front.

Bless you Holyman..this is exactly the information I've been looking for. I won't get to look at these things till this weekend, but if my findings require new parts, you can certainly expect my business. From what I've been able to determine, it's the front end that's shaking and it's violent enough that it's being transmitted thru the bars..I should know more this weekend..Thanx again..I really appreciate this...and thanx to all of you for your time...hopefully I get the chance to repay this kindness someday in the future...Happy riding!

I'm in Tonopah Nevada Holyman...It's mostly desert riding here and we have some sand dunes just a short ways from the house as well. My banshee is seriously unhappy with my desert riding and soon, I plan to visit the dunes and see if my beast and I can reach a happy medium. btw, I am in the process of collecting a rolled Banshee with a motor that was done by Duncan...Cool head, 34mm carbs, porting and a trans mod..It's claimed to do wonders with the midrange sluggishness and that's pretty cool and all, but I've been a wrench head my whole life and I just want the hotter motor...lol, I think it's a midlife crisis or something...seems to make more sense than chasing blondes for the time being at least ;-)