Your Job?

Work for little debbie making cookies, trying to get into industrial maintenance.

I live about 5 miles from the guy that owns Little Debbie. He's owns about half an island called "Marrowstone Island" where he has his own private golf course and several homes..... He is actually the reason I got my house for so cheap. my buddy's mom married him and she gave him her house when she moved. Thus a cheap house for me!!!!

I dont think so. little debbie, sunbelt and a few other brands are all owned by the Mckee family which all of them hold actual working positons in the company. The actual little debbie(the little girl pictured on the box) used to be plant manager where i work.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Civil Engineer, CA DOT I build the roads that get you there and cause you to be 15 min late to work from the delay going through my construction zone. :cry: Sorry :o:D

i bet you stay really busy... everywhere i drive here in norcal seems to be under construction

rental property owner.

just curious, how did you get into that? and is it really worth it? i hear geat things about people making tons of money in it with big operations but i think to have 2 or 3 homes would be awesome.

well my grandparents have like 50 units. they got me started about 2 years ago. they helped finance me. i built one and bought another. im lookin to get more stuff but theres not much on the market right now. when i graduate college im supposed to take over some of their rentals. hopefully thatll happen soon. :rolleyes: its def worth it if you have a construction background. sometimes its hard to get things done if you dont know people. where i live its not what you know, its who you know. and being 21 i know fuckin every important builder, framer, plumber, electrician in my town. this is key to my success. plus i can do most shit myself. i do conrete obviously, framing, some minor plumbing and electrical and other shit. dont buy single family units. try and get at least duplexes if not 4 or 6 plexes, they are the big money makers.

I bought my first rental property when I was 19 and made $95K in the first year off of it, took that reinvested it all in more units and WAM! on my way to ealy retirement.

My day job is I am a Network Manager.

I bought my first rental property when I was 19 and made $95K in the first year off of it, took that reinvested it all in more units and WAM! on my way to ealy retirement.

tell me more about this. how did you do it? and what did you look for?

I do the same pee'on work that KGL does. Im glad to see alot of others doing "pee'on" type work. Someday I hope to be a graphic designer like Brooke, so I can design graphics and shit. :rolleyes: and no longer be a working class "pee'on".

Edited by Meat

I do the same pee'on work that KGL does. Im glad to see alot of others doing "pee'on" type work. Someday I hope to be a graphic designer like Brooke, so I can design graphics and shit. :rolleyes: and no longer be a working class "pee'on".

get over it meat. i said that in referance to the jobs going over seas being low-skilled low-paying work, and that they are being replaced with better paying jobs. i do more than just "make graphics", and your tone towards me is just as undesirable as the tone youve percieved i took of you.

I'll get over it when you say your sorry for making such a rude comment.

If I recall, you called the people working manufacturing jobs "pee'ons". My buddy's mother, a freind of mine lost her job sewing shirts because the company went overseas. Pee'on job so give em away to China. The "high quality furniture manufacturing" job that I work is losing major companies every day to China and the cheap junk chinese furniture Wal-mart sells. Another Pee'on job. And the company we were discussing, Zippo Lighters..... a very "all american" company.... is losing huge market shares to Chinese rip offs.... and you called those factory workers..... "pee'ons". Just think Brooke, if you would apoligize for insulting all these hard working, low paid American workers, you could be labeled a flip flopper :o better show that you have "balls" and never admit your wrong.

and Im sorry for dragging politics into this thread.

Edited by Meat

I'm a self employed machinist. My parents started S&S MFG back in 1979 when I was almost 5. I've been working there full time since I was 18, so I'm 1/2 way through my 12th year.

Over the years we have done just about everything, but have yet to make enough to retire...lol...

Some of our customers have been (some we have only done a job once for, others are repeat customers): Levi Strauss, Delta Air lines, the Greek and Tawianese Airforce, US Airforce, US Army, Hostess, Dryers Ice Cream, Kroger, Weber State needed some parts for a satillite about 6 years ago, Kennecott Mining, Levelor blinds, a local Budweiser bottling plant, and a ton others that I can't remember.

We've made parts that I've seen in McCammon Airport in LV even. (I think thats the name of the airport..)

We do just about anything we can from production, fabrication, protoyping... We are kind of known for doing the "shit" no one else wants to. 3 weeks ago we repaired a countershaft for a D-7 (I think...) CAT from around 1940. They couldn't get the part anymore, so we had them weld the teeth up, and we roughed them out for them.

We just picked up a customer making the handle bars and the derailur system for a recumbent bicycle manufacturer here just last week.

We're always trying to come up with our own products as we know several shops that have done this and made their money. We have done this particular part twice now with pretty good success. Back in 1986 my dad started making billet rims for radio controlled cars. He was making the payments on a $60,000 lathe with those parts. Of course everyone else jumped in on it, and cut us out.

Back in 1998 we started making billet rims again for the Traxxas T-Maxx and E-Maxx, and the Nitro Stampede. We got our rims featured in the centerfold of the Christmas issue of RC Car Action. We sold more rims in the next 3 months than we did the previous year. THATS when my distributor decided to steal my designs and have their own machine shop make them. Now every one is making rims again and the market won't support what I have to offer. No big deal. Another one will come along.

In the mean time I've started building billet and swingarms for the Banshee. I'm hoping to start expanding it to street bikes and other ATV's as well.

AND Depending on how things go this winter I might start a 3rd business building ornamental iron. The first project we are going to tackle is building a remote controlled sliding iron gate and fence for the shop. We've built a free standing swinging wood gate for my parents house. Works great and its nice not having to get out and manually open the gate to get in the back yard. I'm also going to be building stuff such as railings and more "foo foo" shit that people like such as chandeliers and things like headboards and bed frames. I've got a design for a coffee table/end tables as well. I'm going to try to talk to a few housing GC's to see if I can't get a chance to fabricate some items for their houses. My sister (conveniently) just started selling houses, so that shouldn't be too hard to get ahold of someone.

I love my job, but the thing I hate is when something turns to shit I can't blame anyone. When there isn't any work (we've gone as long as 8 months with out one single job) I get to worry what I'm going to do. Thats the main reason for me trying to come up with my own products. I hate waiting and worrying. Some people think you get to take a vacation when the work dries up, but in my business the competition can be fierce so you have to take it serious.

My ultimate goal is to be able to either open my own gym, or build a couple 50 unit blocks of storage sheds. I would love to own a piece of real estate, but there aint no way in hell I'm going to be a landlord. With a storage shed, someone doesn't pay their bill, legally I can slap a padlock on the door, and notify them. After 90 days or so I can auction off anything inside to pay the back dues. An 8 x 30 bay is going for around .30 per square foot. My shop would bring in around .80 per square foot. BUT there is almost no maintainence involved with the storage shed, no untilites like water or sewage, and little power other than whats used for security lighting. Just have to make it secure and offer something like 24 hour CC surveilance.

Edited by Cotton eyed Joe

I'll get over it when you say your sorry for making such a rude comment.

If I recall, you called the people working manufacturing jobs "pee'ons". My buddy's mother, a freind of mine lost her job sewing shirts because the company went overseas. Pee'on job so give em away to China. The "high quality furniture manufacturing" job that I work is losing major companies every day to China and the cheap junk chinese furniture Wal-mart sells. Another Pee'on job. And the company we were discussing, Zippo Lighters..... a very "all american" company.... is losing huge market shares to Chinese rip offs.... and you called those factory workers..... "pee'ons". Just think Brooke, if you would apoligize for insulting all these hard working, low paid American workers, you could be labeled a flip flopper :o better show that you have "balls" and never admit your wrong.

and Im sorry for dragging politics into this thread.

i did apologize once already, and said thats not how i meant it. you have a very selective memory. you can take the time to search through all my posts if you want, but i sure as hell am not going to waste the time. i wasnt saying it against the people who work them, ive said repeatedly that i respect anyone who works ANY job, and doesnt bitch about it. i said, let the "pee-on" jobs go over seas, so we can have more higher paying jobs here. wouldnt YOU rather have a higher paying job? ive said before also, that around here lots of factories have shut down putting lots of little old ladies out of a job BUT those companies also offered new job training and help with job placement to those who wanted it...many of those jobs they were re-trained for were higher paying...so whats so horrible about that?

im so sick of this fuckin victim game everyone likes to play so damned much. cry me a fucking river, jesus.

I too worked the "pee on" jobs and as I stated before,dummies need jobs too.Not everyone is suited for college.Dummies and Pee ons built this country going all the wayy back to the 1900's,don't you ever forget that.The reason you have a computer to earn a easy living on today is because of some "pee on".

I moved into a higher paying job,I'm still a pee on,A skilled pee on(machinist)but still a pee on.

But the fact remains that most of us started in those meaningless jobs and we busted ass to get those higher paying jobs.

I too worked the "pee on" jobs and as I stated before,dummies need jobs too.Not everyone is suited for college.Dummies and Pee ons built this country going all the wayy back to the 1900's,don't you ever forget that.The reason you have a computer to earn a easy living on today is because of some "pee on".

I moved into a higher paying job,I'm still a pee on,A skilled pee on(machinist)but still a pee on.

But the fact remains that most of us started in those meaningless jobs and we busted ass to get those higher paying jobs.

did you not read what i wrote? i said i respect anyone who works any job.

nice selective memories guys.

you missed my point nightrider