BLOWN SHEE AFTER AN HOUR!DAMNIT!

mybadbanshee

yeah so, i just finished my 7 grand build up last weekend.all summer no riding.i broke in the motor great everything was running great.we did a littele woods riding then hit the train tracks which are straight as far as you can see.i ran throuhg the gears and had it pinned in 6th.we came up to a road so i down shifted to 5th then 4th and the shee shee sputered out and died,no big deal i started it again and got up to 3rd and lost all power so i shut it down and coolant pissed all over the place.now it will barley run at all and picked up a pretty bad knocking.yeah that really sucks.i was so pissed i havnt even tore it down yet to see whats up.well ill keep you up to date as soon as i figure out what it is.

Sounds to me like you put the roings on upside down and they grenaded and fell into the crank case, theres a coating on the rings when there right side up so it dosnt happn but if there on backwards whatch out dont wanna scare you but it does sounds like that to me, but then theres the coolent??where did it come out of its tough to get the o rings to seal in the head so could it be justan o ring?? keep us up to date

BLOWN SHEE AFTER AN HOUR!DAMNIT!

ran throuhg the gears and had it pinned in 6th
i broke in the motor great everything was running great

You say it blew up after an hour of riding? And you say you were pinned in 6th? And you claim to have broken it in good? :shootself:

Last time I checked you're not supposed to pin your bike after a new motor rebuild within 1 hour of riding.

Clymer manual says to mix it at 16:1 for half a tank or so and take it really easy on the bike until that gets burned, then check plugs just in case and put some 24:1 in it for 2-3 tanks then you can start cranking on it.

Next time don't be so impatient! Hope you learned your lesson :cry:

THE HOUR OF RIDING WAS AFTER THE BREAK IN PROCESS.IT WAS RUN THROUGH A TANK OF 16:1 AND THEN 24:1 AND THEN 32:1IT WAS ON THE 4TH TANK BEFORE WE STARTED REALLY RIPPIN ON IT.WE THINK THE JET WE WERE RUNNING WERE TO LEAN.IT BURNT OUT THE FRONT OF THE PISTON.NOT ON THE SIDE BUT ON THE TOP NEAR THE EXHAUST PORT.AND ALL AROUND THE SIDE OF IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS SHREADED.ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY INPUT ON JETTING.IM RUNNUING A TDR CRANK,VITOS PISTONS, STOCK PORTING,NOSS HEAD AND NO AIRBOX LID WITH A K/N WITH OUTERWARE.ANY HELP WILL BE APPRIECIATED.

Hello,

Where are you located ? Altitude will play a prt in jetting as well as the cool air now coming with fall/winter (on the east coast anyhow).

My bike has 340's in and you can see my mods in my signature.

I saw your signature and I would say start around a 280 or 300, besides if its a little rich no big deal....you can always jet down.....however if lean...even for a short period of time...melt down will occur in short order :cry:

Plug checks are essential to making sure your jetting is dialed in....i usually buy 8 at a time when i do plug checks...

Hope this hepls....

Nick

sounds to me like you had a water leak some where and posibly running lean to. every time i melted down the piston on my Kx 500 that is exacly how it burned up. check your head to make sure it isn't warped. also check on your water pump and make sure that it is working properly, some times they break. what kind of gear oil do you run? what were the levels?

THE HOUR OF RIDING WAS AFTER THE BREAK IN PROCESS.IT WAS RUN THROUGH A TANK OF 16:1 AND THEN 24:1 AND THEN 32:1IT WAS ON THE 4TH TANK BEFORE WE STARTED REALLY RIPPIN ON IT.WE THINK THE JET WE WERE RUNNING WERE TO LEAN.IT BURNT OUT THE FRONT OF THE PISTON.NOT ON THE SIDE BUT ON THE TOP NEAR THE EXHAUST PORT.AND ALL AROUND THE SIDE OF IT LOOKS LIKE IT WAS SHREADED.ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE ANY INPUT ON JETTING.IM RUNNUING A TDR CRANK,VITOS PISTONS, STOCK PORTING,NOSS HEAD AND NO AIRBOX LID WITH A K/N WITH OUTERWARE.ANY HELP WILL BE APPRIECIATED.

Did you check your plugs quite often as you were breaking it in? You're supposed to check those plugs alot in case something isn't right.

Try some 320's and start from there.