I am tihnking of buying a banshee

BansheeBoy08

OK, heres the scoop. I am 14 years old and I have a job and I make roughly $400 a month. I jsut bought a Foreman, so that is my mud/ go slow quad. I want a sport quad and I know I can get a banshee cheap. BUT, I wont be able t0 rebuild it every time I ride and such. Like I want it to be if my friends ask me if I want to go ride with them, I wil lbe able to just liek on a spur of the monet type thing. Would a banshee last for maybe a year and a half or 2 years without a complete rebuild?? Right when i get it, I will redo the topend and if it doesnt have a good set of pipes on it, I will put some on it. Is this a good quad for me?? I want to be able to ride wheelies, and mess around in the yuard, and go up to La Dunes about 3 or 4 times a year.

Thanks,

Danny

I wont be able t0 rebuild it every time I ride and such.

Shouldn't have to. A little maintinance goes a looong way. Mine's a '97...how many times have I had to rebuild it?????NONE, never had to re-do the topend yet! :cheers: Granted, I may be due for some new pistons or rings before long; but why fix it if it ain't broke. :confused: Just MHO... :unsure:

personally to me it sounds like youd rather have a 4 stroke. yes banshees are sweet machines but it sounds like you will be doing more messin around than anything. not that you cant just mess around on a banshee but they really like to be ridden fast. have you thought about some type of 4 stroke? like a 400ex or z400? they are both very reliable bikes that dont need much to go faster. give us a little more info.

Well, I can get a banshee for really cheap that needs work and ahve it running for about 5 or 600 dollars more. I like the way they sound and the speed. I have my Foreman for my trail riding and hunting, so this quad will jsut be used for messin aroung in the yard doin donuts and wheelies and racing my friends. Also, my neighbor has a Z and me and him will be going to the dunes every couple of months.

I have thought about a 4 stroke, mainly a 400ex because of the price, and I would ahve to spend a great deal of money to make it keep up with a Z. On the banshee I plan of getting it ported and polished,and new pipes, and a few other parts.

Honestly, you can do anything on a Banshee you can do on a ex, or a Z, the only difference is you have to plan ahead or pick your mods cautiously and after researching them. If you just go out and throw the first set of pipes, or ones you like because of the name, then you might be working against your overall riding style. For instance, you trail ride, but like the sound of the CPIs, well it's not gonna be as fun to trail with a set of CPIs as compared to a set of Fatties. Just plan ahead how you intend to ride it, and it's okay to say everything, just be sure to do mods that help "everything", like Fatty pipes enhance the overall powerband, not just low or high rpms.

Reliability is the same as any other, they don't need a lot of maintenance, but with a little (same as any machine, oil, clean, grease, inspect) it'll last a long long time, just make sure your jetting is right after mods (which is also the same with any machine). If your buying used, be extra cautious to buy one that hasn't been dogged and not maintained or you could be asking for trouble, this is also true with all machines. There's nothing worse than to buy someone else's problem and we've all done it.

Mine's an '02 and has been ridden pretty hard, cleaned pretty well, and correctly maintained. I can go out at any given time, kick it once or twice and count on it to do whatever I ask with ZERO problems, and it has for well over a year and a half without one stutter. I may have fouled one plug in all that time. I just raced a cross country race this weekend with my banshee (which is "typically" not it's field of expertise) and I have a lot of mods that promote the low and mid ranges and my lap times were all within range of the others, so the banshee can do it all if you just choose wisely.

Edited by sredish

I agree. Banshees are great reliable machines if you properly maintain them. One of the biggest things with a banshee is to give them a proper warm up and pick a 2 stroke oil and stick with it. Changing up on the oil will eventually give you problems although I might hear some slack on that one. The most critical aspect is jetting. You can toast a top end in no time if you run her lean. Personally I think thats where all the horror stories about how unreliable banshees are comes from. People who have no idea about that they are doing throw a set of pipes on and do this and do that and never rejet tjeir carbs and trash a topend. They sell the bike and talk shit about how unreliable they are. Dont believe everything you hear. Banshees are awesome and just like any machine... If you take care of it -it will take care of you. . :cheers: