Vitos 404 Big Bore

KiwiBanshee

i have a vito's 404 kit and personally i think it's great!!! i hae not had 1 problem with and i ride hard as hell!!! i also have porting, t5's, advanced timing, jetted, k&n clamp-ons, coolhead , v-force reeds, and i use the stock carbs 390-410 main jets depending on weather and all that other bull. Let me tell u the thing hauls ass and i have not really ever lost a race.

PS u could ask people that were at coalfest they saw the bike in action or do a search and check out some of my vidoes that meat posted and also meat has the 404 kit and he has not did a rebuild in 3 years. i just did mine cause i ride twice a week for 5 or 6 hours each time so i had well over a 100 hours on it and when i pulled it apart it still looked new. Anything else just ask!!!

I will start this out with I have not owned a big bore so this is just what I have "heard". The one negative that I have heard when going to the big bore is that the oversized sleeve takes up some of the transfer area that Banshee's are kind of lacking to start. I'm sure that with proper porting, the transfer area can be increased enough to feed the bigger dispalcement. This may only be an issue when you are going for maximum HP. I'm sure that the bigger bore creates a bundle of torque, so if the set up your looking for is a good trail machine, maybe this would be a great set up. I guess the tranfer volume is one of the reasons the strokers are becoming so popular, you are increasing displacement with out sacrificing any transfer area. There are quite a few members that have the big bores that can give you actual answers from their experience. This was just for informational purposes.

In regards to the 404 kit's power, where does the power come, down low, in the mid, or mostly top. I've been toying with the idea of a LR kit, but Vito's kit intrigues me as well. If it helped smooth the power coming in the mid and possible a little more low, i'd give it more consideration.

Thanks.

In regards to the 404 kit's power, where does the power come, down low, in the mid, or mostly top.

My mods...

mx porting

404 kit currently on its first bore and is around 392cc's

V-force reedcages

fmf fattys

nosshead with 20cc domes\185psi

stock carbs !

my engine's power is not as "abrupt" as it was before the mods, the overall powerband "hit" is a hellava lot stronger than it was when it was stock, but it comes on a little sooner and smoother, hits hard in the middle and its wicked till I start revving it out. My stock carbs, lower gearing and the porting work I had done all limit my top end power, but thats the way I had it setup. I ride the trails and around some small coal breaker riding areas, where I can't really use super high top speed numbers. Rollin' down a nice wide road, and I crack the throttle it will accelerate with the best of em, but its not a drag banshee for sure. Quick throttle response with the small stock carbs and killer V-force cages\reeds. Its a fun motor. I ride mine ALOT, Iv put a ton of miles on this 404 over the past 3 years. I don't ride it during the coldest winter months, but im out at least once a week for 9 months of the years. My compression is 185\175 and Im blowin' some blue smoke outta the lower comp cylinder. I think I might have a stuck ring. There's plenty of compression tho, and she can sit for days and start right up on 2 or 3 kicks. If the big sleeves are installed correctly and you have a good port job done, they're just as reliable as a stock motor. BTW, the vito's 404 uses vito's powerpistons.

I think a 4mm stroker would produce a better low end power gain. Iv heard the strokers add mucho torque to the motor...... torque and low end power go hand in hand

In regards to the 404 kit's power, where does the power come, down low, in the mid, or mostly top.

My mods...

mx porting

404 kit currently on its first bore and is around 392cc's

V-force reedcages

fmf fattys

nosshead with 20cc domes\185psi

stock carbs !

my engine's power is not as "abrupt" as it was before the mods, the overall powerband "hit" is a hellava lot stronger than it was when it was stock, but it comes on a little sooner and smoother, hits hard in the middle and its wicked till I start revving it out. My stock carbs, lower gearing and the porting work I had done all limit my top end power, but thats the way I had it setup. I ride the trails and around some small coal breaker riding areas, where I can't really use super high top speed numbers. Rollin' down a nice wide road, and I crack the throttle it will accelerate with the best of em, but its not a drag banshee for sure. Quick throttle response with the small stock carbs and killer V-force cages\reeds. Its a fun motor. I ride mine ALOT, Iv put a ton of miles on this 404 over the past 3 years. I don't ride it during the coldest winter months, but im out at least once a week for 9 months of the years. My compression is 185\175 and Im blowin' some blue smoke outta the lower comp cylinder. I think I might have a stuck ring. There's plenty of compression tho, and she can sit for days and start right up on 2 or 3 kicks. If the big sleeves are installed correctly and you have a good port job done, they're just as reliable as a stock motor. BTW, the vito's 404 uses vito's powerpistons.

I think a 4mm stroker would produce a better low end power gain. Iv heard the strokers add mucho torque to the motor...... torque and low end power go hand in hand

hrrmmmmm.......... Meat, If you don't mind me asking, how much did all that set you back??

Mike

i havve the 404cc vitos big bore kit with , cool headss, v force reeds, toomey t5's, k and n filter, 15 front sprocket, 340 main jets with 30 pilots 24cc domes also. I love this thing its great, lots of power all round. someone mentioned the coal hills i might take her up there during ther year and see how it runs. I recently jus installed mine and i have yet to get it in 6th gear so still doing a trial and run to get it running to its prime. u will not be dispointed with this upgrade mann also i have a fully ported motor

Edited by blaster105

How about your jetting specs for that set-up Meat.

Main,pilots,needle clip would be appreciated.I am a fan of open class two stroke power and that sounds like the ultimate setup.A bunch of low end with the majority of the power delivered in the midrange and flattens out nicely on top.

With the right gearing,I bet it will still stomp a mudhole in some seriously modded shees.

how much did all that set you back??

oh let me try to remember...

bb kit was around $470

installation was $300

porting... $350

V-force $200

noss head$ not sure really :(:rolleyes: Iv had mine for years now, I forget how much they cost.

Add aftmkt exhaust pipes

Don't happen to have a dyno sheet with ya, do you?

no I dont, but if you guys remember "4 wheel thunder" aka "mobile dyno", they had a few dyno charts for the vitos kit. Maybe someone has those charts saved and can post em.

How about your jetting specs for that set-up Meat.

mains: 380+390's in the summer and 400's or 410's in the winter. I ran an open Toomey 2:1 airfilter deal with those main jet numbers. Now that I have the airbox back on, Im running rich with the 380's in, but.... now that the weather is getting cooler the jetting is better, but 370's would be better. The weathers only going to get cooler, so im keeping the 380's in.

Pilot jets. 30's. I tired 35's when I first started jetting it, and it ran too rich. The guy who built my motor recommended the 30's and Eric from 4 Wheel Thunder also recommended the 30's so I tried em and iv been running them ever since. Air Screws are set...... lemme think.... I should know this...... I just had my carbs off a few weeks ago when I put my airbox back on. If I recall, they're set lower than 1-1\2, closer to 1 turn out. I can't remember exactly. I rarly have to adjust em, but I do every once in a while depending on the air temps.

The needles I use are an aftermarket set made by "vito's". He sells two needle tapers, one for stock motors and one for ported motors. I bought the set tapered for ported motors and I run the clip in the 3rd\middle position. I started off jetting with the clip set to the richer\lower\4th notch and the bigger 35 pilots and was way too rich. Leaned out the needles and put in the smaller pilots and havent changed em since. The only jetting I do, is swapping out the mains when the seasons change.

With the right gearing,I bet it will still stomp a mudhole in some seriously modded shees.

I think the 404 is great little engine package, but I don't think its the ideal drag motor. I think of it as a more robust and possibly a more user freindly motor, than say a heavly ported 350 or even a stroker. Its a good kit for guys who like to ride a good fun reliable motor, and for guys who don't want to break the bank on thier atv engine. Good motor for the weekend warriors. If you'd want a more specialized motor, then other engine builds can and are better than a big bore kit. I was always led to beleive that the 404 might not be the "ideal" drag engine, and its most likely not the "ideal" drag engine... but Smokin350's 404 was hangin and beatin' the best of em. But I gotta say.... the strokers we were racing were having a hard time keeping the front wheels on the ground they were accelerating that hard. And bigwill's Banshee is really fast too, thats a 350 right bigwill ???? bigwill's Banshee was neck and neck with the strokers and was swapping wins with Smokin'350's 404...... and just like bigwill pointed out.... bigwill is a big boy, about 3 times the size of Smokin' :D