Scuba

nater006

Got my basic open water cert just recently... have been on a couple non-Caribbean (read: murky and cold) dives.. and damn, its a great sport... and wondering if any of the rest of you is into it... and, if so, what equipment (if any) you have and like, good dive spots, etc.

Ive been a few places in Mexico - good stuff

I'm getting my certfication classes started next week

gonna be ready fro my family's cruise to the caribean jan 2nd!

I was considering buying my own gear, but I'll probably just rent - there are some killer ebay deals on used stuff though....

right now the leopard sharks are mating in la jolla (san diego) that is awesome to see there are thousands of them here i have been out diving like 4 times sence they got here its truly an awesome feeling to be in the water with all those sharks..wich by the way are harmless

Ive been a few places in Mexico - good stuff

I'm getting my certfication classes started next week

gonna be ready fro my family's cruise to the caribean jan 2nd!

I was considering buying my own gear, but I'll probably just rent - there are some killer ebay deals on used stuff though....

Yeah... just gotta know how to shop! I tried a few different BCDs (or BCs, for some of you) and really liked the Sherwood Avid. Really great. Retail is like $475, and thats what they wanted at the shop for it. I used a used Avid, a couple years older, and it wasn't as nice but it was great. Picked one up off of Ebay, brand new, with all the trimmings, for around $250 shipped. Its great :) Renting is great.. I just want to pick up my own stuff gradually, and read up and everyone said to start with the stuff that's fit-specific, like BCD and wetsuit.

crbanshee -- planning to go on a shark dive next summer, unless we go on vacation over Christmas to somewhere warm.. :) Fiji in 2006. Probably Cozumel this coming summer. Hopefully I can get my Advance Open Water cert by then.

Banshee~ -- the class was only a weekend and then the 4 required cert dives in a lake, which were spanned across 2 evenings. I read the book before, so the weekend class was a review basically, and I feel very comfortable and have dove a couple times since. or you can do like.. a night a week for around 6 weeks or so, but, the weekend one was great :)

Ah yes the leapard sharks of la jolla...forgot about those. I dive every once in awhile. So far the best one I've been on was a wreck dive in Jamaica, followed closely by a Jamaican night dive. We had a group of 7 LARGE stingrays follow us on our entire dive that night. The biggest one had a wingspan of about 5 feet. Apparently my local beach has a ton of thresher sharks chilling by the jetty - anybody wanna dive that with me? Remember: Sharks, da onely bite you when you toucha da private parts.

I dive La Jolla too.  Great place once you get used to the cold and bad vis.  I get out there about once a week.  Dove all over everywhere while I was in the Navy and the Persian Gulf is one of my favorites, lots of wreck dives.  :)

la jolla has been warm with 20 to 30 ft vis lately...water is a cold 70 to 73

and the sharks are out in full numbers if you scuba or snorkel it is a must see

Edited by crbanshee

Hell yeah!! Scuba diving rules! I recently dove in Cozumel, Mexico. We went on the Cenotes dive. In Cozumel, all of the rivers run underground, and there are places set up to dive in these rivers. It was friggin CRAZY! The rivers are freshwater, so it's like diving in clean spring water. The Cenotes (caves) go on and on for miles. We swam up into some amazing stalagtite rooms that looked like somthing out of a movie. It is pretty dangerous, as it is totally dark except for everyone's dive lights. You can get real dead if you mess up and get lost.