Does anyone know anything about Polaris...

I've got a '93 350L 4x4, the thing is a total hunk of, well you know. Whenever i get to wide open throttle the thing starts popping, and it's coming from the engine. Also it's not the jetting because it anything it's a lil' rich on top. I was thinking maybe a head gasket, or cylinder gasket, any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

You'd have to check the compression. Also, how's the airfilter? How do you know the jetting ain't good? Is the carb clean? The valvtrain could be a little funky.... Usually, popping in an internal combustion engine is a sign of being lean...

Edited by boonman

air filter is good, blew all the passages clean after i cleaned it with carb cleaner so the carb is good. I wouldn't think it would be compression because it's got a brandnew piston and bore. by the way boonman those flywheels are awesome, it wants to rev all the time now, thanks.

Edited by lastlegwarrior

Have any of you actually owned a Polaris? :wacko: I've never had a problem with any of mine. How many Banshees can pull an elk out of a canyon? I'd say you are lean if it is popping. Start checking air leaks and compression.

Dude. I haven't personally owned any...my dad has owned about 4 of them. The first one was a 94 explorer 2 stroke piece of shit. It was bought brand new and had so many problems with the engine. That was traded for somethin else in 95 which also had many problems with shit. Traded that for the one we have now...another 95. Magnum 2x4 425. It blows the carb to airbox boot off (i think thats what it is) and doesn't run til its back on. Many times has he been stuck in our woods cause of that thing. We also have a 99 4x4 Magnum 500. Haven't had much trouble with that one yet. Somethin happened to it about a year ago which I don't remember what. They are getting better with their stuff...gettin their shit together pretty decent now. Personally, I would never own a Polaris until I'm sure they won't be shit.

thanks for the info, i'll definitely be sure to check the exhuast. I went to ATVforums in the polaris section and someone mentioned i might want to check my throttle cable because, i guess polaris's have an emergency cut out system? I'm gonna go check it out and i'll let you know.

Not sure how to fix the problems but just wanted to get in here and say that the Polaris 4X4's are pretty nice as long as you never have to work on them because it takes more time to take the plastic off than it does for me to dismantle the Banshee then trying to put them together is horrible because they don't seem to line up right after you've taken stuff off. Makes me really appreciate Yamaha Engineering.

I own a '93 350L 4x4

The throttle limit system that you mentioned works like the one on the banshee. I had a throttle cable stretch and when you would hit the gas, it would cut out. The limiter won't affect top end though.

The stock exhaust has two plugs that you can pull and clean it out.

Would you be interested in any aftermarket performance parts for your 350L? I have a few. Boyesen reed cage, 38mm mikuni carb, shaved head, Hot seat performance pipe, hypershift clutch kit, etc. Really wakes the bike up. PM me if interested in anything. I am thinking of parting mine out.