Chrome vs. Powdercoat

Guys as I said before I plan on chrome.  Is there any reasons why powdercoat would last longer than chrome?  I know that they are two completely different processes but how does the finish last in the end?

PTT, both powder coat and chrome will get damaged from trail riding. I see you're looking at a-arms, well, powder coat will chip, where chrome will peel off, if you know what I mean.

I originally had both my a-arms chromed (they came like that), but the lower a-arms started to look crap very soon. (It doen't help being roosted by your buddies KX500 all the time :( ) Seriously though, we ride through tall grass and double track bush roads with the raised centre and the chrome didn't last too long before it looked like crap.

So right now I have the lower a-arms powder coated silver and the uppers still the original chrome.

The lowers are starting to look a bit worn with the P.C. as well, but the coating doesn't peel like the chrome did.

Looking at your avatar, it appears that you're into trail riding as well, I would suggest going the same way as I did if this is an option.

For any other type of riding chrome will be fine...

Powdercoat will stand up to more abuse than Chrome. Ive dragged chains and all kinds of crap over powdercoat and no scratches. Chrome will scratch and peel, and is not as risistant to rust.

Powder will make everything a tiny bit thicker, but making a durable weather resistant coating.

You can also choose colors of powder.

I dont see the point of chrome. its goddy as hell.

Same with all of that billit crap. :angry:

It's good to get opinions from someone who rides similar terrain as me. I'm not dead set on anything my Banshee is for riding not show. My banshee is 17 years old with stock J-arms and they really over the last year went down hill. My frame is pretty aged and since the Banshee is on it's way out now is the time to get a new frame for it so I need to get A-arms too. Cheaper is better and powdercoat would be cheaper than chrome but I also have this belief that I don't want to buy something and have thoughts that I should have spent a little more. I have to say I'm now leaning towards the powder coat. I wish I had more experience with chrome but I need to use the info on this site instead. So any more opinions or comments as to what I should do would be appreciated.