How to get the pistons off the rods?

when i did my top end i had to pound the hell out of the wrist pins to get them out, yes the circlips were remoived. an 11mm deepset socket worked the best. but if youre gonna go the pounding routine make sure you hold onto the rod so that the sideloads dont warp something :( .

So you're getting your cylinders bored, first off, does the shop have the new pistons you will be putting in? Cylinders are supposed to be bored to a piston and its clearance. cylinders are bored to the thousandths and pistons come in hundredth increments, like 64.25, while the actual reading may come out to be 64.249 or 64.259 which is a hundredth of a difference and quite a bit.

First off make sure you have rags stuffed down in the bottom end so nothing falls in there, remove a c-clip on the side of the wrist pin, and you might need to use some force to get the wrist pin sliding. Penetrating lubricant helps wonderfully. And like therail said, dont but a lot of side load on the rods.

Good luck

get a long 8mm bolt,a washer,and an assortment of small(1" and 2") peices of tube,the tube must be bigger diamiter as the wrist pin. put the washer on the bolt and a piece of tube and if u can find a bit of old tyre tube to cussion the tube against the piston.post the bolt together with washer,pipe,rubber through the wrist pin and screw the nut on the other end,be carefull that the nut doesnt scrape on the piston,and start tightening the bolt from the tube side,as the pin starts to come out u may run out of thread on the bolt so take it out again and put the longer bit of tube on,under no circumstances should u hit or shock the piston or pin or rod,you could cause more problems than u solve.by the way the nut and bolt i use is a metric thread,fits perfectly up to the wristpin without toutching the piston,i hope this helps u. :)

They are 2 small retaining clips. If you look at the wristpin through the edge of the piston, you should be able to see 2 small internal retaining rings (circlips) that keep the wristpin from walking out. Pop one out and carefully drift the wrist pin through.