PISTONS! DAMMIT!

2Smoker

Ok last night I am all ready to go out on a tour on the shee I got tomorrow off work and I spent a few hours tweaking it cleaning it and all the maintainence I normally do. I head towards my friends place that's about a 1 hour drive on a bike, and halfway there I lose power and one cylinder backfires and shit I thought maybe it's a plug.

But nope its a piston I did a redneck compression test just putting my thumb over the spark plug hole and one's fine the other one has no compression I stick a screwdriver down to see if I burned a hole in the top of the piston (which I did 2 weeks ago on the other piston) and theres no hole. I drive the bike on 1 cylinder just up the road to a guy I know's place and get a 12MM socket and pull the head off...sure enough I have a little piece chipped off the side of the right piston...I dont know how it happened it looks like it hit the exhaust port or something...

I've had the bike for almost a month and a half and I am starting to get pissed at how much it goes through pistons!! I'm still running stock pistons and it didn't hurt the cylinder wall so now i have to wait till a new piston/rings gets in and Its canada day today all the boys were going out on tour and I am bansheeless.

this sucks!

My friend had an 800 XC sp. He had it for like a month and the crank seal blew, that lead to it running lean and the piston was all scortched. He replaced the pistons in it then took it around for like 2 laps and blew the same one again. On top of this he just had the cylinders replated and had to have it welded to repair a big gash. He spent about 800 bucks and it got him nowheres. Now thats bad luck.

You caught a ring on the exhaust port, mine looked exactly the same, guaranteed when you pull that cylinder its gonna look real pretty on the side of that piston. It did it because you have to much play in your cylinder wall. mine was .009 thousands out of round (pretty much). Take it to a machine shop, tell them its a 64 stock mm bore and find out what size pistons you need. You're gonna need an overhaul, not just new pistons.

I was just hoping to put a new piston/rings in and go this is bad news :( I was just going to use my engine deglazer to round things out (what I did on the other side a couple of weeks ago and it works great) The cylinder wall isn't bad at all. It was worse when I burned the hole in the piston and I had aluminum all over the wall.

I am going to mic that cylinder tonight and see how much play it has. I didnt want to go all out but if I have to I will.

If its really bad I'm going to get it bored out on both sides the next size up and get 2 new wiseco pistons, wrist pins and wrist pin bearings. Its not too much cash and I might as well do it right. Doing it half assed and having it blow up next weekend would be just plain stupid. :shootself:

Take it to a machine shop, unless you have some snap guages and are proficient at using them. Bore them jugs, and start fresh. You have already blown the thing twice. Also, check your jetting. Why not? Can't hurt to check it out. Also, you are going to have to make absolutely sure that you don't have any shit down in the crank. If you got some debris down there, you will soke some bearings. And that will piss you off. :huh:

You have already blown the thing twice. Also, check your jetting. Why not? Can't hurt to check it out.

It was the other piston that went last time. There was a hole burned in the top of it about an inch wide. It was because my carb needed to be cleaned and I didn't clean it and the jets plugged on it and it leaned out and got too hot.

After I put the new piston in last time I checked compression in both cylinders and it was around 110 PSI. It was my neglect that caused it to go the first time.

I am trying to find out what happened this time. My cylinder is fine. I am going to just put a piston and new rings in I have it tore apart and there isn't any debris inside the crank. It just looks like a little chip out of the side of the piston. It didn't hit the exhaust port, it's to the side of it.

I'll just spend 100 bucks now so I can drive it and if it goes again i'll have the money saved to bore it out and put oversized pistons and rings in it. I will post some pictures if I can.