Jetting the passion stroker

Where are your needle jets set?

iffy as like it runs ok but not like when it it's the pipe?

My shearer pipes are ok in the lower power rpm range, Lug to on the pipe than it is OH Shit Grin and SHIFT. It goes so fast threw the upper power band It's unreal. Mine still is peaky style powerband , COuld be my carbs or the Shearer pipes But i still have alot of tuning to do. SO time will tell.

needle is right in the middle. im thinkin about takin it up one notch and see what happens. the top end is unreal, it pulls forever and i dont eve nhave my rocket pipes on it yet.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

loco, if your motor runs like mine,which I'm thinkin it does because we live about 15 miles away from each other, it pulls hard down low when you first nail it, then it acts like its to rich (has kind of a blubbering dead spot and doesn't really want to pull). This occurs right around 3/8 throttle or maybe a little before. Then by 1/2 throttle it has cleaned up and starts pulling hard again. I think the problem is on the slide cutaway. Im going to get 1 size leaner cut away on my slides and see if that cleans up the rich spot.

By the way, I hope you blow Perrys ass away. He's been kinda doggin on my motor since i had it done. :)

im running pwk35's with 170 mains and 48 pilots. its got a toooon of top end, its great. from 1/8 till about 1/2 is iffy tho. i cant tell if its sposed to be like that or not. the power comes on at about 3/4 throttle and if i let off the power drops off. im sure the pilot is right on and so is the main. ive done plug checks and its perfect color. maybe i need to do something with the needles? any ideas? i really wasnt this thing runnin perfect. it is rediculous tho. i was runnin 13/41 gearing with some minor porting and it would take out in 3rd when i dumped it on dirt. now itll spin 4th with 14/41 gearing. its fuckin wild. but yea, any ideas on what to do with the midrange? when im draggin and i clutch it to shift, itll lose power. but when i dont clutch and just shift it hard, its fine. not sure about this.

id try a 50 pilot, 170 main should be cool,i keep mine a pinch rich on the top end with 118 octane and 927, im running 34's i supose the 35's would be close, with delta 2's it should roll right on, off an idle, i presume your timing is advanced? 14/41 is geared fairly low for that motor, geared that low you should be able to do a slow roll in 2cnd and smack the throttle and loop it, im not savy on the rocket pipes, but jetted right you should have outstanding bottom end, its gonna haul big ass on top thats just a by product of a good port job, ive had a ton of CR-500's and i know you have one, thats how your shee should run now, just start getting squirly right when you punch it, rolling slow over whoops just snap it on and it lifts, just like the CR, no clutching, im geared 17/40 and mine will rattle your cheeks from 60-100mph, my needles are center position also with a single K&N, my plug chops look brown closer to black than tan and allways wet, i think the 118 burns a little different than the pump stuff, you should be running at least straight 108, i ride between 3500 and 1000 feet mostly, anywhere from 40-90 degrees......i think from what you describe it wants more fuel on the bottom, and then when your 170 kicks in off you go but im not a jetting guru, but jetted right i know it shouldnt have any flat spots, thats whats so cool about jims motor, its hard to do with dual carbs but try and pull your chokes (both if you can) and see if it gets snappy or falls on its face.....

id try a 50 pilot, 170 main should be cool,i keep mine a pinch rich on the top end with 118 octane and 927, im running 34's i supose the 35's would be close, with delta 2's it should roll right on, off an idle, i presume your timing is advanced? 14/41 is geared fairly low for that motor, geared that low you should be able to do a slow roll in 2cnd and smack the throttle and loop it, im not savy on the rocket pipes, but jetted right you should have outstanding bottom end, its gonna haul big ass on top thats just a by product of a good port job, ive had a ton of CR-500's and i know you have one, thats how your shee should run now, just start getting squirly right when you punch it, rolling slow over whoops just snap it on and it lifts, just like the CR, no clutching, im geared 17/40 and mine will rattle your cheeks from 60-100mph, my needles are center position also with a single K&N, my plug chops look brown closer to black than tan and allways wet, i think the 118 burns a little different than the pump stuff, you should be running at least straight 108, i ride between 3500 and 1000 feet mostly, anywhere from 40-90 degrees......i think from what you describe it wants more fuel on the bottom, and then when your 170 kicks in off you go but im not a jetting guru, but jetted right i know it shouldnt have any flat spots, thats whats so cool about jims motor, its hard to do with dual carbs but try and pull your chokes (both if you can) and see if it gets snappy or falls on its face.....

i tired the 50 pilots when i first put it all together and it wouldnt stay running. then i put the 48 pilot in and it idled perfect. on the very bottom its ok, its right before the powerband is where it has a little flat spot. i was thinkin maybe something to do with the needle. the gearing does seem way low right now, but i need to order some bigger sprockets. ive been running a mix of 3 gallons of 110 to 2 gallons of like 93. im thinkin maybe i should just be runnin damn near all race fuel. i think ill try runnin a little more race fuel and see what happens. right now it screams on top, like nothing ive ridden before. its rediculous. if i keep it wrapped out and shift with no clutch, it pulls hard and consistent all the way thru 6th gear. its just when i let off for that split instant to shift is when it gets flat. the bottom seems good as well as the top. so i was thinkin that means needle needs adjusted right? thanks BD for the info. also, where you been lately i havent seen you post much.

thats funny you mentioned idle, did you put the smaller plot in to make it idle?, mine wont idle without taking up the slack in my throttle cable, but runs like shit without the 50 are you able to adjust your idles at the choke pull knob and raise and lower the idle? jim will tell you his motor aint known for its idling skills.......i still think you should try the 50 and see if it wakes up the bottom end.........ive been burried at work so i havnt been on as much :cheers:

Edited by Blue Duece

thats funny you mentioned idle, did you put the smaller plot in to make it idle?, mine wont idle without taking up the slack in my throttle cable, but runs like shit without the 50 are you able to adjust your idles at the choke pull knob and raise and lower the idle? jim will tell you his motor aint known for its idling skills.......i still think you should try the 50 and see if it wakes up the bottom end.........ive been burried at work so i havnt been on as much :cheers:

jim told me to start with a 48 pilot and 170 main. so just to be safe i threw in a 50 pilot and 172 main. it would not stay running at all. i had to keep on the throttle. so i said f*ck it and threw in a 65 pilot just to see what would happen. still no idle. threw in the 48 like jim said and bam, idles perfectly. i mean its perfect. ive done test runs and the 172 is a little rich, but ive got rockets on the way so they should lean it out some. right now its running real good on very bottom and on top, midrange is a little off. im not fully fine tuning it until the rockets get here. it still pulls real fuckin hard tho. you are runnin the pj34's right? ive heard they are hard to get to idle. these 35's idle perfect. no surging or anything. mine has seperate idle screws. they are little black screws down and right from the choke knob. maybe you should try the 48 if it wont lean you out too much, it might be part of your idling problem. just an idea. i hear ya about the work, luckily im the boss and decide our hours. 110 heat index here tomorrow, you can bet ill be home by 3 tinkering with the banshee. :D

so is it replacing the 500 as your new hillclimber? honestly, how would you compare the two motors now?

its not replacing, just joining. the cr500 is the reigning champion right now. we will see sunday how the new engine performs on a hill. before it was runnin 7.0's and the cr500 banshee was runnin 6.8's. surely with all this new shit itll be runnin at least 6.8's and hopefully faster. i really wanna drop down to 6.7's cuz it has never been done on a quad yet there. ill have videos to show my results :D

i tried the smaller plots and my bike cackled in the mids, so i went back to the fiftys, maybe its the 34's...that midrange snap is where all the balls are at in that engine though.....when im riding it a idle isnt my concern......

yea mine crackles a little, but i have t leave the 48's otherwise it wont idle. when im WOT it doesnt matter either, i just like to be able to leave it to warm up and shit. the engine def pulls hard, the top is crazy.

I have Jim's 12-port which is different than his stroker, but I have PWK 33's and the 48 pilot idles fine, Starts on first kick...I had a 168 for the mains and it look like it was race jetted (White all the way down to bottem then a small brown ring. I put in some 172's and also bought some 170's jsut to be safe, if it does not bog thats where I'll leave it. But I didn't make the Glamis trip last weekend because the guy I was supposed to meet up with shot himself with a nailgun or someing :( So I have not had a chance to test it out. I also have more restrictive pipes...

I love jetting these carbs with clamp ons, 100x easier than with my stock carbs TORS and the airbox!

Supposed to go to Corral Canyon this weekend and the alt is around 3000 feet higher, so I'll probably end up re-jetting again. And switching my tires back....What a fucking waste of time!

Edited by Justintoxicated

I have Jim's 12-port which is different than his stroker, but I have PWK 33's and the 48 pilot idles fine, Starts on first kick...I had a 168 for the mains and it look like it was race jetted (White all the way down to bottem then a small brown ring. I put in some 172's and also bought some 170's jsut to be safe, if it does not bog thats where I'll leave it. But I didn't make the Glamis trip last weekend because the guy I was supposed to meet up with shot himself with a nailgun or someing :( So I have not had a chance to test it out. I also have more restrictive pipes...

I love jetting these carbs with clamp ons, 100x easier than with my stock carbs TORS and the airbox!

Supposed to go to Corral Canyon this weekend and the alt is around 3000 feet higher, so I'll probably end up re-jetting again. And switching my tires back....What a fucking waste of time!

your jetting is right on what mine is. i didnt know the 33 and 35 mm jetting would be so close. mine also starts first kick. jetting is a fuckin breeze, i love it. stock carbs can kiss my ass!