Can't get my swingarm bolt out

You are not alone on this one!!! this is a trademark for the banshee!!! I had to cut mine out with a torch!!! and ruined the swingarm!! but it really just takes some mustard!!! get a propane torch and heat the shit out of both ends of the bolt get some type of punch that will go in the hole at the threaded end of the bolt and get the biggest hammer you can find, personally I would use a mull or a massive sledge hammer and eat a bowl of wheaties before!!! then just start pounding the shit out of it. dont stop, it will come loose it might take 2 days but it will come out!!! and just go buy the new bolt right now because the old one is toast!!

yeah while your buying the new bolt buy some new bearings too. but wait untill you get the old one out first. might as well put in the zirk fitting while its off. take a 5/8 rod about a foot long and put that in there and have a brave soul hold it there while you hit it with a sledge. should come right out if your doing it right. no matter how bent it is, its hollow. though im not talking from experience so thats just my .02

Just so you know what's going on here is the assembly order starting from the outside...

The swingarm, bearings, sleeve, dustcaps on the ends of the swingarm, bolt goes thru frame, dustcaps, sleeve and nut goes on the other side.

The problem is the bolt is rusted to the inside of the sleeve. Heating the bolt will probably have no real effect since it is #1 rusted and #2 10inches long and would have to be heated the length of the bolt.

The best thing to do is tip the quad to the side so you can get good straight on hits and hit it with a heavy hammer. The heaviest hammer you can get without hitting the frame. Once you get some movement, drive it back the other way. This will break the rust loose. If you havene't already ruined the threads on the bolt, get a spare nut and pound on that instead of directly on the bolt. The problem is if you mash over the end of the bolt, it won't go thru the hole in the frame but if you hammer on the nut, once you get it loose enough, you can take off the nut and drive the bolt out the rest of the way using a punch or piece of metal rod.

Once you have it all out, I suggest installing a grease fitting in your swingarm which should prevent you ever having to mess with it again.

Do a search for the pics I had posted. If you can't find 'em, I'll repost them here.

I had this problem and I soaked it with wd 40 and had my wife turn the bolt head with a ratchet while I smacked with a hammer (with a nut on the the threads) and it finnaly broke free. then I soaked it more with wd and smacked it back and forth and turned it with a ratchet until it came out. Its kinda looked liked a circus act or a monkey f&%@ing a football but it worked. :headbang:

• 4 weeks later...