Buying A New Bike

I plan on buying a motocross bike in july, and I'm trying to choose one. I was thinking about a Crf250r or a Kx 500. I want the 500 because of its power, but I am not that big yet (I'm only 16, im 5'8 and 145lbs) Would the 500 be too much power? The 500 is also cheaper than the 250, and that is a big advantage since budget is tight :angry:

I would get the yzf450, but my income wont allow it bangheadbanghead

I am leaning towards the 500 because its $700 less than the crf, and much faster. The only problem I have now is whether or not I will be able to handle the 500. If it comes to it, I might even look for a used 450f.

i highly doubt you are going to be able to handle the 500 on a mx track. the 500s are not for mx. the power comes on too strong and is too much to handle. when is the last time you saw a race where someone was racing a 500 in an mx race? id say go with one of the thumpers like the yz250f or yz450f(yfz450 engine) and theres always the honda crf450. if it were me i think id just go with an aluminum framed cr250. they handle good and the power is much more manageable than something like the kx500. do you think you can even kick a 500 over??

i highly doubt you are going to be able to handle the 500 on a mx track. the 500s are not for mx. the power comes on too strong and is too much to handle. when is the last time you saw a race where someone was racing a 500 in an mx race? id say go with one of the thumpers like the yz250f or yz450f(yfz450 engine) and theres always the honda crf450. if it were me i think id just go with an aluminum framed cr250. they handle good and the power is much more manageable than something like the kx500. do you think you can even kick a 500 over??

I will not be using the bike for MX, and wouldnt try to ride the 500 on a track. I ride mostly dunes, woods, and trails. And yea i can kick one over, I'm pretty strong for my size. What I am worried about is being able to handle the bike period. I also started a weight lifting program a few weeks ago, and should be up to about 155lbs before I purchase the bike. So my real question is which bike is better for trails, and open areas. I have a sandpit near my house and I will be riding there too. Im sorry I should have said that the bike would not be used for MX from the start. :dance:

Edited by fel0n

ok i got ya now. i thought u meant actual mx because you said motocross bike. for trails and hills i think the 500s are great. however i would go with a cr500. the cylinder is no nickel plated like on the kx500s making it much easier to rebuild. wide open, trails and sand id say a 500 would be fine. they are a lot of power. they will easily bring the front up in 5th gear. i would ride one before you get one to see if you think its too much. i really think tho a 250 would be a lot more friendly to u.

i would ride one before you get one to see if you think its too much. i really think tho a 250 would be a lot more friendly to u.

I couldn't agree with you more. Have you ever even ridden a dirtbike before? Hell I'm 6'1 185 and don't know that I'd want a 450 or 500cc bike at this point in time, I've ridden them and damn, that's about all I can say...those guys railing the 450's on the track seem to be absolutely frigg'n nuts to me...but I've grew up on quads too. I miss my old '00 TTR250, that was a great trail bike & did everything I ever wanted it to. However, I'd be tickled pink to have me a yz250f. :D

however i would go with a cr500

Yeah I would get a CR, but they dont make them new anymore, and I dont want to deal with used bikes. And led, yea i rode my kx125 a few times, but every time I ride the shit breaks. (Rode it 3 times, and something went wrong everytime.) Now I am looking for something reliable, and I know that the 4 stroke 250s are pretty reliable. I also heard that the 500s rarley need rebuilds. Reliability is the main thing im looking for, or else I would buy a 250 2-stroke.

I think a bike like mine would be great for you, im about your size and weight but im not quite 15. I've only been riding for 1 1/2 years but every body knows me as the driver because i have hopped on modded 'Shees and taken them up to top speed on my road, i have also ridden two older 250's but my bike is very bad ass and it hauls me around like theres nothing on the bike. The first day i rode it, Sunday, i was touching the gas and in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, it will go over with less than a half throttle, im speaking from experience and its scary :lol: and i put it in 4th. and nailed the gas and the front end started coming up slowly and i let off after i was going like 70mph with the front end 6 inches off the ground. I also got the front to come up in 5th. And i shot some sick rooster tails of rocks at the Banshee i was racing Sunday. Nothing can keep up with my bike. IMO, a 500 2 stroke is just too much power unless you hill climb or drag.