Work?

PyRo_ZaCh

You hit the nail right on the head.

For example, in this state as I'm sure it is in others, landscaping is a HUGE industry!!! That and shit that goes along with it like lawn services (mowing, spraying, seeding) and tree trimming. Some of it is gruelling work, but nothing is free.

You pay your dues, get buried up to your neck in shit and still have a grin on your face, and in a few years or so you could even have someone doing the "dirty" work while you run the business.

Both the paper work, and shop work of owning a business are equally demanding however. Someone has to find the work, bid on it (to make money, not lose money) do the work, inspect, and deliver. Then someone has to do the billing, accounts receiveable and payable, accounting, and on and on.

I prefer getting my hands dirty to doing paper work.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hows every one know bout the hair already. . . besides all my hippi stoner friends even managed to get jobs, all i applied for i'm in distance to travel to, there is a wallmart but thats kinda far, the main thing is i havent even got an interview just applications and phone calls, found out a few are because of age (having to be 18 since the places serve alachol) bout sellin the shee i only got my permit for the next 5 months at least so i might even be able to ride the quad to some of these places since its on the boreder of the sticks/suburbs out here. nothin i went for requiers much skill or appearence, laundry assistand, deli person, fast food person(well still have to drop that one off cuz it on the bottom of the list for pay and every thing), and i gota go make a phone call bout a telemarking job (i know i'll be pissin ppl off but as long as they dont know who i am and i'm gettin paid for it. . . )

but thanks, i'm sure some of that advide is guna help

and about hours i'm still in school and (dont laugh. . .<_< ) boy scouts, so i would need to be able to work around those things, i'm workin on my last 2 things to get eagle (highest rank possible) which i was told is going to "greatly help" me get a job ;) .

Edited by PyRo_ZaCh

Stay home and collect wellfare. I will start another busness to pay more taxes so you can stay home and ride all day.

What a dumbass. Grow some nuts and get a job. This isn't a job counciling center. :shootself:

Take a chill pill Sandstar, the kid is only like 16 and he is almost an

Eagle Scout...which is actually quite an impressive accomplishment.

It sounds like he is trying, but he says he lives in a rural area where

jobs are far and few between. Nothing wrong with him asking for a

little advice. Hang in there Zach, and don't be such

a douche bag Sandstar.

ZACH, THE HAIR ISN'T THAT BIG OF A DEAL. WHEN YOU GET AN APPLICATION, DO YOU TAKE IT HOME TO FILL OUT, OR DO YOU DO IT THERE? YOU NEED TO DO IT ON-SITE AND GIVE IT TO THE MANAGER PERSONALLY. GET HIS/HER NAME, THEN CALL THEM THE NEXT DAY. BE POLITE WHEN YOU MEET THE MANAGER, AND USE A FIRM HANDSHAKE WHEN YOU GREET THEM. THAT LIMP-WRISTED CRAP PISSES ME OFF. AND NEVER EVER SAY "THANKS DUDE" WHEN YOU GET DONE.

IT MAY SOUND LIKE WE ARE BEING HARD ON YOU, BUT IT IS TOUGH OUT THERE WHEN IT COMES TO FINDING A JOB RIGHT NOW. YOU HAVE TO SET YOURSELF APART AND GIVE THEM A REASON TO HIRE YOU. ANSWER EVERY QUESTION WITH "I WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES".

IF YOU DON'T CUT YOUR HAIR, AT LEAST PULL IT BACK IN A PONYTAIL WHEN YOU GO TO THESE PLACES.

AND ALWAYS, ALWAYS SAY "THANK YOU SIR/MAAM" EVEN IF THEY CALL YOU A LITTLE HIPPIE FREAK

Just trying a bit of reverse psycology on him.

Plan and simple truth is we live in a representive republic, we don't work in one. If you want someone to hire you, you have to become the person that they want, if only for 8 straight. Sell the banshee and get a car. That might help you with the ladys, too.

I've been taking them home, i dident realize the diffrence, thanks, i'll try that now. i was almost ready to go back at ya there with something like "DUDE I"M 16 WELFARE ISENT FOR ANOTHER 6 YEARS AND 3000 JOB APPLICATIONS YET AT LEAST" just took my usualy confused and back away approch, i found one i think but i'm guna need to ask if any one here has workd in telemarking, i heard they take any one, and pay decent but my mom says dont even apply cuz if i get it i wont last a week. so can i have a lil more advice or am i guna get chased away to a job councling forum :(

Home Depot is a pretty cool place to work and they usually hire just about anyone, they have positions for the half-retarded all the way to management. If I had to have a no-real responsibility job, that's where I'd go.

Unfortunately, I work for myself, no 401k, no insurance benefits, no dental, just get up 7 days a week and bust my ass and hopefully make enough money to keep my doors open for another month. Sometimes, it's the greatest thing, make lots of money, make my own hours, and go ride when I feel like it. Other times, I'm not sure where the next check is coming from and the outlook in 6 months is grim. Fortunately, after I look back, every year my gross keeps going up and up and this year has already come close to outdoing last year in just 6 months.

Motivation, that's all it is, and I'm not saying you don't have or do have, I'm just saying that's what it takes.

Telemarketing sucks, cold calling people on the phone that don't want you callingis no fun. However, if I didn't know how I was gonna buy food next week, I'd take it, even if it lasted a week. Money is money, and when you need it, there's no other choice. Take that job and keep looking, if another comes up, then go for it, if not, your still making a paycheck.

Good luck.

Scott

shredish i know exactly what your talking about when it comes to having your own business my dad went threw the same thing when he started his and i have been there the whole time keep your head up he started off in our family room 2 days after i was born and now we are the second largest pro/collegic(sp) jewelry makers in the us... so there is a light ahead as long as you keep your head up and stay dedicated. and pyro apearance makes a huge difrence. i have my eyebrow peirced as well as my lip and even when dressed nicely i sill dont look like someone who is very chummy or nice and i am a high school drop out with a decent record so i know what its like to have a hard time getting a job but i got lucky and my dad higherd me back yoiu'll find out sooner or later and i have that much more respect for ya since your 16 and trying to get a job when most kids not all but most are more concerned with getting high and whatchin tv.... so rock on lil man rock on

Unfortunately, I work for myself, no 401k, no insurance benefits, no dental, just get up 7 days a week and bust my ass and hopefully make enough money to keep my doors open for another month. Sometimes, it's the greatest thing, make lots of money, make my own hours, and go ride when I feel like it. Other times, I'm not sure where the next check is coming from and the outlook in 6 months is grim.

Sounds a little like what I go through.

What do you do Scott? Its been nerve racking the last week and a half listening to the lights in the shop buzz.....

Appearance, be it fair or not, is important. Offer to work a day for free to show them you are motivated and can do the job. Mention the Eagle Scout thing and let them know that accomplishment is important. The dedication to complete that bleeds over to other things. They probably will be impressed. Fill the application out on-site. Take a pocket dictionary. When someone leaves to fill out an application, I usually figure it's because they are going to have their girlfriend, wife, or mom fill it out because they are too lazy or they can't read and write. DON'T ask if they drug screen....it's kind of a giveaway. Be able to pass if they do though. Just some ideas.

I agree with what you guys are saying about being self-employed. It's a bitch sometimes. I pay more for insurance now (health, life, auto, business, etc.) than I used to make. I wouldn't have it any other way though. I worked in an office before this. Sitting in design meetings, writing reports, and sometimes actually being able to do my work had me pissed and frustrated a lot.

Dave, did you happen to work for the government?

I have a buddy that works for Hill AFB, and he's a percurment officer for a division of the Air Force. He emailed me one day to tell me he had a $50m contract on his desk over 9" deep, and he couldn't get engineering to call him back on a question he had on the 3rd page. Going on 2 weeks for engineering to call him back so he could proceed to give out work to venders.

I agree though. As grueling, and tough as it is to be self employed, I can say I have never worked for anyone but myself ever!!!! I hope I never have to work for anyone else either. I hear its a bitch.

:)

Back to the subject, as Dave mentioned about telling them about the Eagle Scout thing, also if the field you are going into relates, tell them about projects you finished. One of my wifes friends dad puts the car restoring projects he done, and lists the ones that made it to the front covers of national magazines. It lets them know about the attention to detail he puts into his work.