O Or X Ring Chain

zzzz

An oring has round o shaped rings in the chain links, an xring has a rings that around the links in the shape of an x. Supposedly, the xring seals better, but has more rolling resistance. Is the resistance noticeably, I highly doubt it. If you like the idea of the xring sealing better then use it, it's just a little more dough. I use an oring and have no troubles, the xring is a great chain and super strong.

Scott

from my understanding standerd chains have no friction or almost none. Then x-ring have more friction then standerd chains but less then o-ring chains.

Less friction= more power. From what i understand the same thing goes for wear on the chain/sprockts. standard chains wears out faster because of dirt, and hardly wears out the sprocks. and so on. down the line. shrug. thats just what i've been told

i use the did atv x ring and haven't had any problems. one thing i always wondered about though. if o-rings and x-rings are so good at retaining lube and keeping dirt out, how well does chain lube get in there when you lube your chain? i still always use chain lube to keep the rollers and plates and whatever greased up, but that one has always baffled me. :wacko:

i use the did atv x ring and haven't had any problems. one thing i always wondered about though. if o-rings and x-rings are so good at retaining lube and keeping dirt out, how well does chain lube get in there when you lube your chain? i still always use chain lube to keep the rollers and plates and whatever greased up, but that one has always baffled me. :wacko:

It doesn't really. Chain lube is to protect the plates from the outside and keep the o-rings conditioned. The orings keep the grease on the pins between the plates. If an oring fails...ie...breaks, then I imagine the lube will get down to the pins.

All that I run now is the D.I.D. 520 X-ring gold chain..It's on the pricey side of like 80+ bones, but when your bike puts enough power to tear lugs off of brand new tires on the first run on loose dirt and your chain last longer then the sprockets..I think it's worth it's weight in gold. You still need to run chain lube as water will get into the rollers and corrode them up..plus It keeps the chain looking new even after a year. D.I.D. is the best chain on the market in my opinion. I doesn't streach much..It will a little, but after a day and you adjust it right, you'll be good for the rest of the year. Non-O-ring chains will last like 2 races and they're shot. They streach, break and just wear out too damn fast.