Why More Power At 3/4 Throttle Than Full Throttle?

mrmatt

I put the 340s back in and now it has the same amount of power at 3/4 throttle and full throttle. So I'm not as concerned. I'll just pay attention to my plugs and water temperature when riding today. When I get a chance, I'll put the stock pilots back in. I have heard a few other people tell me that the PTs like the smaller pilots.

Go up on the needle to the fourth position. Then see how it runs. Second clip is lean, especially with cleaned up ports, and no lid. One clip is equal to half a main size. So by going richer two sizes, it's equal to one main size and you might need to back it off to 330 but your midrange should come on better and should hold better.

Edited by sredish

depending on what pipes you have, motor produce a certain amount of power at certain RPMS. once the rpms get to high your pipes could be letting the power to fall off.

I know for sure that this wasn't the case. I was carefull about this and would cruise at a speed that was in the middle of the powerband, throttle up to 3/4 then go to wot then back to 3/4 throttle. The power would fall off at wot, then come back at 3/4 throttle. I did this several times because I extremely surprised that it acted that way.

I am going to pick up some new plugs tomorrow and start over from square one with the stock pilot jet and lower clip position and a bunch of different mains. One good thing about the PT pipes is how easy it is to get to the carburetors. Thanks to all for the help.

Every shee is a little different, but my shee liked the stock pilot better for throttle response...It started up better when cold w/ the 27.5 pilots, but the response of the powerband wasn't as great.....The needle height isn't as sensitive as other pipes, I had to really try to FEEL the difference.....find the best spot for you. I usually raise the needles as high as I can w/o it spittin and sputtering from being too rich...Every shee seems to run the strongest one clip before it breaks up for the needles...As for the mains, check the plugs after a wot run in 6th gear......Let us know what you come up w/... :dance:

depending on what pipes you have, motor produce a certain amount of power at certain RPMS. once the rpms get to high your pipes could be letting the power to fall off.

I know for sure that this wasn't the case. I was carefull about this and would cruise at a speed that was in the middle of the powerband, throttle up to 3/4 then go to wot then back to 3/4 throttle. The power would fall off at wot, then come back at 3/4 throttle. I did this several times because I extremely surprised that it acted that way.

I am going to pick up some new plugs tomorrow and start over from square one with the stock pilot jet and lower clip position and a bunch of different mains. One good thing about the PT pipes is how easy it is to get to the carburetors. Thanks to all for the help.

yes, start with new plugs, and run your machine wot and listen to what it tells you, via the plugs.

I messed with it a little more today. I left the main alone and just worked with the needle position, pilots, and air screws. I plan to revisit these when I get the main figured out, but I wanted to get a better 'feel' for how it likes to be jetted. With the 27.5 pilot and the needle clip in the middle position, I couldn't get a smooth transition from 0 to 1/4 throttle it was a little too rich and gurgled. But it runs clean through the same throttle range with the stock pilot. I tried the needle clip in the next two richer positions, but it would always gurgle at 1/8 to 1/4 throttle. I could get it a little better when the air screws were screwed out 3 turns, but I had to go back to the middle clip position on the needle for the best throttle response. I didn't do a full 6th gear wide open run, I think my neighbors are getting tired of me running up and down the road as it is. But the plugs were tan when I pulled them. I am going to have to wait a couple of days for the wot 6th gear runs.

I am wondering if my low power at wot is due to my throttle opening up too far. I had to adjust the throttle stop to keep my slides from coming up and getting stuck on the rubber gasket that seals the carb tops. Maybe the slides are still going up too far and actually causing turbulence in the carbs. :unsure:

Nope, I get my slides up as far as possible....If your plugs are tan, then go up on the mains at least 2 sizes....then try another run at wot...I'm surprised that your needles don't like to be any richer...What kind of reeds are you running?? I wonder if that filter is holding you back.....

Edited by Banchetta

Update:

I am running stock reeds and cages (not ported).

I installed 360 main jets and the plugs are still tan after a wot 6th gear run. The power is pretty much the same at 3/4 throttle and full throttle. So I figure that the power was lower at full throttle when I had the 320 jets in because it was lean.

I'm heading back to the Yamaha shop today to pick up a set of 380s. I'll just keep going up until I either get a brown plug or it doesn't run clean on top.

I am baffled as to why I need to run such a large main jet. :huh: I am pretty sure that I don't have any air leaks because both plugs are the same color and it runs great. I must have taken more out of the intake side of the jugs than I thought. <_<

Thanks

Update:

I am running stock reeds and cages (not ported). 

I installed 360 main jets and the plugs are still tan after a wot 6th gear run.  The power is pretty much the same at 3/4 throttle and full throttle.  So I figure that the power was lower at full throttle when I had the 320 jets in because it was lean.

I'm heading back to the Yamaha shop today to pick up a set of 380s.  I'll just keep going up until I either get a brown plug or it doesn't run clean on top. 

I am baffled as to why I need to run such a large main jet. :huh:  I am pretty sure that I don't have any air leaks because both plugs are the same color and it runs great.  I must have taken more out of the intake side of the jugs than I thought. <_<

Thanks

Keep us updated. I'm having the exact same issue with my 35mmCV. I've gone from 175 to 190 with no difference and I think they only go up to 230. I'm gonna snag a 195 and 200 today to try. I figure I'll go rich till the plugs go brown.