Will +2 Shocks Fit On Stock Arms?

Stomp77

I got some new shocks off a cannondale cannibal and they are too long. I am thinking about compressing them with a spring compressor to make them fit, then once they are in place and bolted up taking off the compressor? any idea if this is dangerous???? i want after market a-arms but cannot afford them for 3 more weeks, and my stock shocks are totally shot. thanks

uhm, ok i see. I think... i thought aftermarket a-arms were made for longer shocks, but there just beefier to handle the extra spring strength? but wouldn't squishing the 15+ inch shock into the smaller stock mounts give the longer shocks a higher spring rate with less actual travel? I think i could force them in but that would put extra pressure on the ball joints just like adding aftermarket shocks with rezzies? right? wrong?

ok, so i CAN get a- arms to accomidate the longer shock? is so thats awesome cause these ohlin's shocks are way way way stiffer than my stockers, i can push the stock ones down by hand! what kind of arms will fit the longer shock? :cheers:

allright, the stock shocks will fit on +2 arms, if u go +3 look for some long travel arms, the longer arms arent 2 inches longer there about 3/4 of a inch longer and will fit on ur stock arms, but you may sit a lil higher.stock and +2 all work together, but when u get +3 nothing does but long travel shocks, tons of companies make long travel shocks, try out quicksand arms, there all the rave

If they are much longer than your stock shocks those are probably 19" long travel shocks. You can probably make them fit on stock a-arms but all it will do is force your front end in the air and give you some severe angle on your a-arms. Also if they are valved for +2 a-arms it will ride like a brick because you don't have the extra leverage on the shocks. I'd just save up for some +2 a-arms and use them then. If those are LT shocks get LT a-arms or you'll have the same problem mentioned above.

I've been considering the same idea of using a slightly longer shock. My stock shocks on an '01 are 14.5" from center of eye to eye. The shocks I'm looking at are stock length for a 250R or 400EX, which is 15.5" ctc. I might try it and lower the spring preload to its minimum to keep the front end at the right height.

I'm worried about the length of piston travel and valving. I don't know how tha shocks will react if the pistons can only travel part way.

My theory is they might work similar to a zero preload set-up. Sitting flat they will be at 14.5". In the air they will extend to 15.5" and on landing they will have the full travel to soften the blow.

What do you guys think? :huh:

I think you guys should stick to using shocks that are designed for the machine in question. Installing honda or cannondale shocks on a Banshee is a bad idea. Different bikes have different front end geometry, pivot points, pick-up points, motion ratios and travel requirements. Save you money and do it the right way. Would you attempt to install a ford part ona dodge just because you had one and it looked close? I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to save you guys some time and money.

Well, If you put a larger shock...you will loose travel by how much longer the shock is to the stock legth...If the stock shock is 14 in long and you stuff a 15 in shock in there, you will loose an inch of wheel travel. So you can stuff a 19 in shock on your machine but you'll loose 5 inches of travel. The trick is to get more travel from the shock itself while retaining the stock legth..AKA a longer shaft and shorter shock body. Also if you notice when you get rebound ajusters on front shocks, you'll loose travel..up to an inch from some makers..that's because the rebound ajuster will add to the total shock length and since that lenght isn't reletive to the total travel the piston itself has..you'll loose it. So, I'd recomend buying a specific shock to work with your particular setup. If you put on +2 arms and ran the stock shocks, You'll blow those shocks up in a week of hard riding. Those shocks are barly good enough to support a stock front end. But if you stuck a 19 in long travel shock on a stock front end, you would only get like 3 in. of travel and it would worse then the stockers. So, get your A-arms but don't put them on until you get the shocks..or buy shocks for your machine now and just revalve them to work with aftermarket A-arms so long as those A-arms retain the stock shock mounting charecteristics. You need to call up the companies and ask what sus. you need to run their products. Here's a good story. I bought works shocks for my stock front end years ago..then I got +2 A-arms..well the front shocks were garbage with that setup so I sent them out to be revalved..well I never had the spring rates changed and ended up seizing the shock and bending the shaft after 1 race on it.

Yeah, I suppose your right. Why waste the time and money. Do it right or not at all. Good point about the shock body and loosing travel. I hadn't thought 'bout that. <_<

I still might try the YFZ450 shock swap and then get them rebuilt (valved and sprung) when I get a-arms. But for what those shocks are going for now, I'd be well on my way to good aftermarket.